[CLOSED] Beat Our Build and Enter to Win a $500 gift card!

18910111214»

Comments

• Yuyu_S
    Yuyu_S ✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment

This PC was built with a $1000 budget in mind, and although I did go a bit above the budget it still works just fine.

I chose the 11th gen i5 because it surpasses the 6 core Ryzen 5 3600 at a lower price.

The RTX 3060 was a no-brainer because it's a great card at a reasonable price (that is of course if you can even get it at a reasonable price).

A 256 GB M.2 SSD will be good for boot times, and the 2 TB HDD will be a great drive for storing games and files.

The Lian Li - Lancool 215 case is a great case that provides good airflow, with 3 included fans (2 are RGB for extra performance) and it comes at a very respectable price.

For RAM, 16 GB of Crucial Ballistix at 3200 MHz will suffice for gaming and productivity (and the RGB is a nice bonus for getting better FPS).

The power supply is a PowerSpec 650 watt, and it'll be more than enough for this PC.

And lastly, for the CPU cooler, I went with a CoolerMaster - Hyper 212, since it's great for keeping CPU temps low and stable without breaking the bank.

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=4f36513f-3fc5-4905-9a3f-427c892fa128

• I'm giving the contest a shot.

CPU: As much as I heard AMD is better as a well-rounded performer (and as much as 5000 series CPUs are finally showing up in stores), I'm sticking with an 11700K because it still has compatibility down pat as well as integrated graphics.

Motherboard: The motherboard's the motherboard. I just went with one that had the compatibility plus plenty of features.

RAM: 32 GB's not as overkill as it used to be. Time to step it up a bit. (Besides the comedy, you'll need plenty of RAM for Google Chrome alone, let alone multitasking.)

Case: No options with ODD mounts, which is a shame considering I grew up rural. (Never forget your roots.) But this'll do.

PSU: 750 W 80+ Gold. Not a bad choice. It's not overboard on power efficiency or capacity, but again. It'll do.

Video card: I didn't bother touching this one. One day we'll get back to the promised land, but for now...

Storage: This was tricky. I was contemplating a NVMe boot/SSD bulk storage solution, but after my last PC had an SSD with bad sectors... 1 TB of PCIe storage should be fine for the moment. And I went back to basics for the storage drive, picking a WD Black HDD.

Heatsink: Some people are less worried about using an AIO water cooler, but I don't want the management of an extra point of failure. With a cooler like this, you won't be leaving that much performance on the table.

Monitor: I didn't include keyboard and mouse because if you have a good one, there's no point. But I would like to try that VRR that people keep telling me about.

Case fans: Call me a fool, call me maybe, but I don't think the maglev-bearing case fans are a gimmick. I got two pairs because why not replace all of them? I don't even really care about RGB.

UPS: Don't underestimate this beauty. APC has saved me many times over during blackouts but also brownouts or weird energy fluctuations. Other scenarios make this thing a lifesaver in other ways (e.g. flashing a BIOS).

I don't know what you want. I just went for something crazy but in (mostly) the right ways. It doesn't 'sparkle' but it's functional and it'll hold. (So long as you don't get bad sectors on the SSD. Again.)

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=38e104a1-5e11-469e-95b5-a1ec508f7cd4

• I chose a CPU with integrated graphics because it screams entry level and the build has a power supply that can handle a GPU upgrade in the future, and while the motherboard isn't exactly the most high end, I chose it because 2.6 gigahertz is enough for new pc builders. This build is very good for its price to performance ratio, and is a great build for entry level gamers getting ready to ditch the console and join PC gaming.

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=d8841fcc-dd1c-43df-8aeb-23bb887917c2

• For my cpu, I went with the i5 10400 because it has the best overclocked single-core hyperthreaded idle 14nm 64 bit virtualized AES enabled dual channel boosted ipc rating among cpus that are named i5 10400. 

I chose the Z590 Aorus as my motherboard, since I have an unlimited budget and why not go with the most expensive option? Next I went with 8gb of ram to keep costs down.

I chose a cpu cooler that is incompatible with lga 1200 just so I can make the pro assembly person’s life slightly worse.

Next comes storage. The ideal storage device is in fact not an ssd, but a hard drive. The reason is simple. See, an ssd is solid. It has no moving parts. In contrast, a hard drive spins. At 12 volts, a hard drive spins at 7200 rpm. But how fast does it spin at, say, 120 volts? We can use some leds from the maker section as half wave rectifiers to push power directly from the wall into the hard drive, making it 10 times as fast! As well, this setup has added benefits: Your opponent can't tell the difference between the tap-tap of footsteps and the tap-tap of your hard drive disintegrating itself.

For the graphics card, I went with a 6900xt. Nice.

When it comes to cases, I was disappointed that my choice was not listed on microcenter's website. The worst part is that they had it on display in store! I couldn't find the name, but it was big and had a large window on the front. The great thing about the window is that it swings right open! No need to unscrew it. When I tried opening it, what surprised me was how cold it was. It was nearly 30 degrees cooler than ambient. The weirdest thing is that they filled it with drinks? Those aren't pc parts, but I guess it's a free country. I asked one of the employees how much it costs, and she told me that I couldn't buy it. How sad. Isn't the point of a store to sell inventory? I don't understand your oversight, microcenter.

In my list, you may notice that I included 25 fans. The focus of these fans is not in fact airflow, but noise. See, the best way to gain an advantage over your competitor is to intimidate them. I've calculated that if one of these fans was overvolted to 120 volts, just like the hard drive, it would produce about 75 decibels. 25 of these fans would add up to around 90 decibels, which is louder than a lawnmower. Additionally, not only would you blow your opponent's ear drums, but you'd also quite literally blow them away!

I chose a 1600 watt power supply because I’ll need a 12v rail the size of the moon to power all those overvolted fans.

On my way out, I’d be sure to pick up some of that silvery condiment they have in syringes.

I hope someone finds my pc guide helpful.

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=704a48dc-2f9a-449c-b315-6fb6ce4fac34

• Not sure if there was a price point that I completely went over...but nothing beats a white Corsair build. Clean, integrated RGB with the Ryzen 9 and ROG 3080 to back it. Not only has great appeal but not lacking in performance whatsoever. Dual NVME for possible RAID configuration and AIO cooling for lower fan noise.

Good Luck to ALL!!! I see some great builds!!

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=baa14e9a-4b61-463c-bb07-9284fc9cc65e

• I took the base and ended up removing everything by the end.

It's better because it's something that if I had insane amounts of money I'd buy.

Totally impractical if you have a thing called a "budget" but if you just wanted to go wild I'd tell you to buy this.

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=cd61865c-bd53-4ce0-80d6-7ac3b4419814

• This is my first ever build. Watched tutorials and did lots of research, I wanted to build something that would good to use it on video editing , :

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=e5683757-f129-46bb-bf2e-2012bb27fe30

• Jimmy2x
    Jimmy2x
    First Comment
    edited June 2021

I put this one together trying to keep the cost on the lower side while making something very capable. I built one of these very similar for some testing here and was extremely surprised at how well it performed, so much that I ended up keeping it as my 2nd machine. Has PCIE 4 support, WIFI, and is a good base for expansion.

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=dcbcdac2-d9fa-4568-ab61-2b50f9ba1c02

5600x - Fantastic CPU, especially when properly set up via curve optimizer. For gaming and daily tasks it rivals my 8 core 3000 series cpus at a lesser cost

EVGA CLC 240 - No frills AIO, they're fantastic pieces. Quiet, cool well, EVGA support is great if ever needed. If you don't like the fans and have the money down the line--just swap them out. For the price it's a fantastic unit.

TUF B550M - great no frills mobo w/ wifi, it just works well without many complaints

Ballistix 3200 - If you're not overclocking RAM for benchmarks and just want something that works w/ XMP/DOCP out of the box--this is it. Set it and forget it. Also easily overclocks upwards of 3600mhz should you wish to. If I don't need highly tunable RAM for benching then this is my go-to.

Meshify C - Decent looking case w/ good layout and airflow

EVGA 3060 - It gets overshadowed by the 3060ti, 3070, etc. but the reality is--this is A LOT of card for the cost. I was extremely surprised at the performance vs. retail price, power draw, size, and heat. Runs quiet, runs cool, and does amazing w/ 1440p titles. This and the 5600x at 1080p will destroy anything you throw at it.

Inland NVME - Anyone who doesn't have top tier speed requirements and isn't buying these Inland drives is missing out. They're amazing for the price/performance ratio and work extremely well. I started off using them for bench builds and have since upgraded many of my drives with the Inland drives. There's virtually no discernable difference in day to day performance over much more expensive drives of the same capacity.

Arctic P12 Case Fan 5 pack - If you'e never used these you're missing out on one of the best kept secrets for budget performance case fans. Great quality, great CFM output, insanely quiet.

• Whenever I choose parts for a new computer, I always pay attention to upgradability. I need to make sure that I only have to upgrade a few parts rather than build an entirely new PC from scratch whenever my current build becomes obsolete. That’s why I chose to make upgradability a main factor in this build, but I also tried to make it relatively budget-friendly, low-power, quiet (I learned how important this part is after my first build), and super sleek!

For the CPU, I decided to go for the good ol’ Ryzen 5 3600. It’s a budget-friendly CPU that comes with a commendable CPU cooler by itself and has definitely stood the test of time. I paired it with a nice MSI motherboard with good reviews and functionality that should be able to handle higher-end Ryzen chips too. For the memory, even though a dual-channel kit would support more bandwidth, I decided to go for a single 16GB stick to maximize upgradability in case the computer’s owner wants to expand up to 64GB down the road.

I decided to keep the rest of the parts similar to what Micro Center’s original build had, but I did change a few things just to keep the theme of upgradability in mind. First of all, I upgraded the power supply to a cheap and efficient 700W Thermaltake PSU that should be able to handle beefy GPUs and CPUs and whatever else the owner wants to throw at it. I also changed the case to a Lian Li Lancool 215, which is pretty comparable to the 205 from the original build, but can fit a bigger motherboard, has better thermals, and looks a lot sleeker in my opinion, all while coming at a cheaper price.

So, in general, I believe this build is better than Micro Center’s in a variety of ways, but especially in terms of upgradability. And don’t worry, I didn’t forget to make sure this thing has RGB that’ll blind everyone within a two mile radius once turned on.

Thanks for reading!

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=d0374f87-ac6e-4749-af8a-64181cfdc942

• Made it an ITX with the NR200p, swapped to a NVMe drive, and just made it a little better. Solid little build here that looks great, performs great, and has room to grow when we can buy better GPUs again later.

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=8aadf80d-ec47-487e-adfb-99675cc58bc0

• Took the build you guys had made and turned it into something smaller for my wife who wants to game with me but not have such a large tower on her desk! Hoping to pick something up like this in the future.

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=1d79d418-0456-4706-81d2-60848df82eb4

• Ben_K
    Ben_K
    First Comment
    edited June 2021

I assembled a powerful, upper mid-range configuration that would be ideal for 1080/1440 gaming. With a mix of parts that I have experience with as well as some of the latest and greatest, this machine would strike the balance of value, upgradability and performance.

The build.

Ryzen 5600X—Plenty of capability with a reasonable temperature and core count along with all the benefits of Zen 3.

MSI B550—Personally have this board and find it to be a great value. Plenty or ports, expansion and features for the price. Features like PCIE 4.0, WiFi 6 and Gen. 4 M.2 are future facing.

Trident Z 32GB RAM 3600—Quality RAM with the speed to match the needs of Ryzen. Plus a simple touch of well diffused RGB.

Lancool II Mesh—Great ventilation, modular, robust and well designed. Gamers Nexus says it all.

Seasonic 750 80+ Gold—High quality PSU to deliver clean, efficient power. Fully modular for cable management and ease of expansion.

MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X—The MSI Gaming X series consistently delivers quality cooling solutions and the 3070 is plenty capable for 1080/1440 gaming.

Samsung 500GB 2.5"—An inexpensive, modest addition of quality storage.

Samsung 1TB M.2 NVMe—Main storage with the benefits of M.2 with acceptable read and write speeds.

Seagate 2TB HDD—Accessory storage for things like images and non-intensive resources.

Noctua NH-U12S—I would go for the Chromax version of this for the theme of the build. A quality air cooler that doesn't pose the risks of an AIO with similar cooling capability.

CableMod White Extensions—A finishing touch for overall aesthetic of the build. Using white as an accent as the other RGB elements would be adjusted to white as well.

This would be a substantially more powerful system than the starter build outlined in the original link. The Lian Li Lancool 205 was a good option but the innovation of the Lancool II Mesh make it an easy upgrade. A fully modular, reliable Seasonic PSU helps cable management and aesthetics while also delivering clean, efficient power with the 80+ Gold rating. Upgrading the ASUS GTX 1650 to an MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X is a massive leap in performance along with the introduction of raytracing. The additional VRAM on the 3070 would be a great benefit in the ever-increasing demand of current games and the Gaming X cooling solution would help the cards performance and longevity. The Samsung 870 EVO is a great choice and one that I personally have although I would opt for an M.2 as the main storage for the additional performance boost and ease of installation. I would however include the 500GB 870 EVO as an accessory storage.

Hope you like the build!

• I love the Lancool II but prefer the black version. From there, I just went all black + RGB. I've never had such a cohesive build like this, it's something I'd like to build some day.

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=bfc4056f-d54c-4163-ac6b-98b0ac544a55

• Casual Build for a Casual Gamer like me. Not too high end and not too low budget. Juuuusssttt riggghtt

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=c81908f9-270a-4a4a-97a8-84eeea165d57

• I think my build is pretty valid for someone just starting in the pc industry. This build is under $1200. You might think it is a bit pricy but there is future proofing. Get a pc that will last a while instead of getting something bad then have to buy a new pc. The pc can still work until you get the graphics card. https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=3a735233-53a8-4366-a5cd-619bf7b65ca1

• Okay, Since this was a fantasy build using the parts that were available. I decided to build the Dark Superpowered Ultra. I picked the components with a idea of working for drawing , gaming and some overclocking. I would need as much storage possible to store various artwork, pictures, family videos and games without worrying about space. I understand that most people would choose either a 3090 or even the 3080 but since the 3090 was not among the chosen components I went with the GPU, that in this fantasy world of choices, I would like to use. Now, air flow would be paramount to keeping the case and components cool, that is why I went with the Corsair 5000D airflow in black. At first I was going to make the build a blackout build but then I realized that I would also like to have the option to add a little RGB if my budding daughter artist would like to turn on for the extra FPS and performance. From what I've been told is what RGB does. I added a Seasonic PSU with the right amount of power and dependability necessary for my build to not be overworked and go out in a blaze of glory. No Superpowered Ultra machine should go out that way.

• I went with this selection with looking at what I will be upgrading to in the future and I can dig it!! It's a quirky little case, but it has spunk and I know what all parts will fit. I went with 32GB of ram for future proofing...and on the off chance you need more than 2 Chrome tabs open 🤦‍♂️ I've enjoyed AMD's 8 core 7 series (currently running the 2700x) and the new 5800x looks sweet! And...you know....gotta have some extra RBG in there because its pretty!!! It's nowhere near a budget build, but it'll last and most importantly...it's fun!

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=6217d856-310f-4f4a-888c-1f21d08d48c5

This discussion has been closed.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99