My PowerSpec G356 is freezing randomly while I play games.

Options
I have been told from some people more knowledgeable than I am that the problem is either the RAM, or the power supply, causing the RAM to fail. Yesterday, instead of just freezing, it bluescreened, and gave me the error code DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION. This particular unit was a open box, so I am assuming it was a display model. What are my options?  (On a side note, I just bought the computer 3 weeks ago, so if I were get in to the store, it would be under warranty, right?)

Comments

• Ian
    Ian admin
    First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes 5 LOLs
    Options
    Greetings. Is this the first time you have experienced this blue screen? How often has it been freezing and did it require a complete shutdown to correct it being frozen? 
  • TalkingJewel0
    edited May 2020
    Options
    TSIanL said:
    Greetings. Is this the first time you have experienced this blue screen? How often has it been freezing and did it require a complete shutdown to correct it being frozen? 
    Yes. Yesterday was the first bluescreen, but it has happened several times prior without a bluescreen. Attached is the event viewer showing the events happening for frequency, and it did require a complete shutdown.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options
    Yes, it would be under warranty. I would be curious to see what errors are proceeding the unexpected shutdowns in event viewer. Did you notice anything there referencing any components? Are you able to access your memory dumps? Knowing whether it actually logs an error when it crashes or writes a memory dump file would be helpful to determine which component is failing.

Try this tool: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

If you could, post a screenshot of what it displays.

• TalkingJewel0
    edited May 2020
    Options
    TSMikeW said:
    Yes, it would be under warranty. I would be curious to see what errors are proceeding the unexpected shutdowns in event viewer. Did you notice anything there referencing any components? Are you able to access your memory dumps? Knowing whether it actually logs an error when it crashes or writes a memory dump file would be helpful to determine which component is failing.

Try this tool: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

If you could, post a screenshot of what it displays.

I downloaded the tool you gave me, clicked on the event, and that is the bottom one, if that's enough. The next one up from that is the latest freeze, and the topmost is the events following the bluescreen. I am unsure how to read the memory dump, and I did not notice anything regarding parts.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options
    How many BSOD's did you see in bluescreenview and were they all the same error?
  • TalkingJewel0
    Options
    TSMikeW said:
    How many BSOD's did you see in bluescreenview and were they all the same error?
    This was the only one. It was the first bluescreen I received, all the others froze with no bluescreen, requiring a shutdown.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options
    Understood. You can try the built in memory diagnostics to test the RAM, but everything points towards the GPU. I would replace the GPU or RMA it. 
  • JRW27288
    Options
    This BSOD looks like it is caused by a driver issue. I have had it before also. I would try following this tutorial on how to completely clean the drivers and reinstall. This guy has a great write up on how to do it. 

How to Clean Install Nvidia Drivers:
    https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/ddu-guide-tutorial

Be sure the "clean install" box is checked and only install the graphics driver and the physx driver.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99