If you have an HP printer/scanner running in to trouble, HP provides a software known as the HP Print & Scan Doctor, which you can download to your PC to attempt automatic fixes to these problems.
NOTE: This software is only designed for HP products, it will not work for other brands/models of printers and scanners.
Here is how to use this software:
1. Download the HP Print & Scan Doctor from this page directly on HP's website:
2. Run the HPPSdr.exe file downloaded onto your computer.
3. On the HP Print and Scan Doctor, click on Start and choose your HP printer.
If you do not see it listed, ensure the printer is turned on and click Retry.
4. Click on Fix Printing or Fix Scanning based on your issue and follow the prompts.
5. Results will show for each step done.
6. Follow the remaining prompts until it is finished and then if successful, the software will print out a test page, or do a test scan, depending on the prior option selected.