Adding a new Smart Home device, like a Google Home or Home Mini can change how your home feels and how you can interact with it.
However, setting up these new devices can be a bit tricky. We’re here to help with a simple guide explaining how to set up a Google Home device, as well as some common commands that you can give to your new Google Assistant.
How do I connect my Google Home device to my Wi-Fi?
Google has a few devices that you can connect and control your Smart Home. Today, we’re going to discuss how to connect the Google Home Hub, Google Home Mini, Google Nest Mini, Google Nest and Google Home Max. The steps below will guide you through setting up for each of these devices!
What you’ll need to get connected is the following:
- The Google Home device you want to set up
- A phone or tablet
- A Google account
- Access to a secure Wi-Fi network
Once you have these things, plug in your Google Home device. When the device lights up and plays a chime, you’re ready to move to the next step.
- Download the Google Home app to your phone or your tablet. The app can be found on both the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store. Once you have downloaded the Google Home app, make sure that your Bluetooth is turned on. Open the app and choose a Google account to connect to and select "Get started" Once your app is looking for devices, you’re ready for the next step.
- Choose the Google Home device that you would like to connect. After you select the device, you should hear a brief sound from your device. Confirm that you have heard the sound and then move to the next step.
- If you cannot find your device or it does not chime, please follow our troubleshooting steps here.
- Make sure to connect your device to the same secure Wi-Fi network you are using on your phone or tablet. Then, in the Google Home app, select the network to which you want to connect your Google Home. When you see “Connect” in the Google Home app, proceed to the next step.
- You can also set up Voice Match so that the Google Assistant can better recognize your voice: turn on personal results so that your results are customized with your connected apps and select which music apps Google Assistant can play.
- You’re all set! If you have had any issue with these steps, check our troubleshoot steps below.
How do I link Smart bulbs to my Google Home device?
- Use the Google Home app to connect smart lights with Google Home devices. After opening the app, select the + icon on the top left and then “Set up device.” You should see two options for you to select one. If you have C Lights by GE, the top selection, is for you. If you have other compatible smart lights choose the bottom selection, Works with Google Assistant.
When using C lights by GE, you’ll be able to use the Google Home app directly to control them.
- When using “Works with Google Assistant” smart bulbs, you’ll need to set up your lights with the bulb maker’s standard instructions. You may need to set up a bridge or a hub if you haven’t already.
- Plug in and turn on the bulb in the same room as your Google Home device.
- Open the Google Home app and then select the + icon on the top left and then “Set up device.” Followed by Works with Google.
- From here you’ll need to find your bulb maker’s logo and follow the steps to complete the setup. You may be required to sign in to your bulb makers app to complete the setup. The app will guide you through the rest of the steps.
What are common phrases for use with my Google Home device?
There are many common phrases and commands that you can give to your Google Home device. To interact with your Google Home device, you’ll need to start by saying “Hey Google” or “OK Google” followed by the command or question. Don't hesitate to try any commands that you can think of, as Google is always adding new commands and ways to interact with your Google Home!
Since we’ve discussed adding Smart Lights to your Google Home, here are a few commands you can use to control your lights:
Google has a library of other commands and questions listed on their help page here.
Troubleshooting: I can't find my Google Home device
First, make sure:
- You're using the most recent version of the Google Home app.
- The speaker or display is plugged in and powered on.
- You can tell that Google Home, Google Nest Mini (2nd gen), Google Home Mini (1st gen), Google Home Max, or Google Nest Audio is powered on and in setup mode when the white LED lights are blinking.
- You are in the same room as the device.
- If you're using an iOS device, turn on Bluetooth
1) On the home screen, tap Settings and then Bluetooth.
2) Make sure the slider is On (toggled to the right and green).
3) Close Settings and return to the Google Home app.
- If you're using an Android device, turn on Location Services.
1) On your Android device, tap Settings.
2) Tap Security & Location, then Location, then Use location and then return to the home screen.
3) Tap Settings, then Apps & notifications, then Google Home app and then Permissions.
4) Next to "Location," make sure the slider is On (toggled to the right and blue).
If you still can't find your Google Home device, try:
- Rebooting your speaker or display
1) Disconnect then reconnect the power cable from your speaker or display.
- Force close and reopen the Google Home app
- Connecting to your device from your phone or tablet's Wi-Fi settings
1) Open the Wi-Fi settings on your mobile device.
2) Check the list of available Wi-Fi networks and look for an available network such as "GoogleHome1234"
3) If you can successfully connect to the Google Nest or Home SSID (network name) in your Wi-Fi settings, open the Google Home app and then set up the device again.
- Use different supported mobile device to set up your Google Home device.
- Move your Google Home device to a different room. There may be interference or a weak signal.
- Perform a factory reset on your Google Home device.
- On your mobile device or tablet, turn Wi-Fi off and then back on. Reopen the Google Home app and try to set it up again.
The Google Home adds a ton of convenience and ease to your home with the ability to play music, turn on the lights or hear the weather forecast.
We hope that these instructions were helpful to you and that you could fully set up your new Google Home!