This article describes how to use WinDirStat in Windows 10 to check storage space and delete files. This is especially helpful if a user is trying to figure out which file or program is taking up the most space.
1. Click the Windows Start Button, typically found at the lower left corner of the screen. Then click WinDirStat from the Start Menu.
2. Choose the drive you want to analyze. Click OK
3. Wait for the screen to finish populating. The top left section (1) shows a file structure with a percentage and size information. The top right section (2) shows the color code for different file types and how many files of each type. The bottom section (3) shows a visual representation of the files on the drive
4. Click the plus sign to expand folders.
5. Identify temporary files that could be deleted. ‘Temp’, ‘tmp’, and ‘cache’ are all terms used to identify temporary files.
6. Right click the folder and choose Explorer Here.
7. Select the file you want to delete. Then right click and choose Delete
· To select multiple files at once hold the Control key on the keyboard (CTRL)
8. After deleting unwanted files, click Refresh Selected
9. Once finished reviewing the drive information, click X to close WinDirStat