Beyond The PC - Console Gaming at Micro Center

This discussion has a more recent version.

Micro Center has always been known for our expansive offering of PC parts and accessories, but did you know we have a wide selection of console gaming systems, games, and accessories? From the Playstation 5 to versatile, multi-system controllers, our Champions have picked out some of their favorite consoles and accessories available at Micro Center!

Meta Quest 2 by @Shoan041

The Meta Quest 2 is a wonderful way to game and find VR entertainment for all ages! You can watch movies/shows, play games, and even do exercise routines. While the Meta Quest was originally called the Oculus Quest, they have maintained all the original product qualities that were first loved since the initial launch. I have had the opportunity to use the Quest 2 myself and I am very pleased with the quality of the system, ease of use and its selection of games! The Quest 2 is great for the whole family, it is simple enough that even my grandma and parents have no problem using it and they aren’t the techiest people in the world. 

Two storage sizes are available for the Meta Quest 2: 128 GB and 256 GB. The hardware itself is very well made and they offer upgrades and accessories like hard straps and battery packs for more hardcore games who want to play for longer periods of time. There is an optional cable that you can purchase to connect the headset to a computer, so you can play games through PC as well. 

It also has a system that doesn’t require additional hardware for motion tracking, making setup a breeze! The controllers are well made and compact as well. It has a built-in battery pack, so you can play wirelessly. This makes the system easy to take with you when you go out, so you can play almost anywhere!

The selection of software and games available for Quest is extensive. You can find many different kinds of entertainment through their storefront or through computer sources like Steam with the link cable. If you have been on the fence about getting into VR, now is the time with the accessibility and support from all sources. The Meta Quest 2 is one of the least expensive ways to get into VR and get a quality system with good support and upgrade options for the future!

Thrustmaster eSwap X Pro Controller by @tbarggs

I highly recommend the Thrustmaster eSwap X Pro Controller for anyone looking for a versatile and customizable gaming controller. What sets this controller apart from others is its modular design, allowing you to easily swap out and personalize various components such as the sticks, D-pad, and buttons. This means, whether you are someone who is used to Xbox controllers or PlayStation controllers, you will be able to customize this controller in a way that’s comfortable for you!

In addition to its customizable design, the eSwap X Pro also features high-quality components, including responsive buttons and precise analog sticks. It even boasts advanced features such as trigger locks, which allow for faster firing rates in shooter games, and four customizable shortcut buttons on the back of the controller. Overall, the Thrustmaster eSwap X Pro Controller is an excellent choice for serious gamers who want a controller that is both comfortable and highly customizable for their specific gaming needs.

Nintendo Switch OLED Model with Neon and Blue Controllers by @w8deywins

I can’t help that I’m a gamer on the go. Always have been, always will be. I had a Gameboy Classic, PSP, and Wii U growing up. So naturally I had to have the new Nintendo Switch OLED when it came out. After putting in so many hours playing Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on my Wii U, I couldn’t wait to play Breath of the Wild on the go with a beautiful display!

But that doesn’t even begin to get into all of the new features you get with the Switch OLED. Right off the bat, you’ve got a bigger and brighter OLED display versus the previous LCD model. You get to game on a 7” OLED display which offers better contrast and power efficiency. The Switch even comes with 3D audio and controller feedback for a more immersive experience on the go. The OLED comes with 64GB of flash storage and supports up to 2TB of additional storage with a MicroSD card. While the internal hardware hasn’t been upgraded over the base Switch, the screen improvements on the OLED model make gaming on the go much more visually impressive and a worthwhile upgrade.

Of course, what is a Switch without games and accessories? Some great on-the-go games I highly recommend are Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Pokemon! And if you are taking your Switch on the go, you should definitely check out some of our themed travel cases like the Pikachu or Animal Crossing cases. I store mine away in a sleek Legend of Zelda case while I travel. It even stores extra games at the bottom as well, making it a must-have for my travel!

If you have more questions, feel free to ask below or find an in-store associate who would be glad to help you. 

8Bitdo SN30 Pro Bluetooth by @Rye_Bread

The 8BitDo SN30 Pro is hands down my favorite Bluetooth controller that we sell here at Micro Center. My first time using this product was when one of my fellow associates offered to let me play an emulated retro game on his Galaxy Tab. I was extremely impressed with the quality and feel of the buttons and joysticks. A short play session later, and this is now my go-to controller whenever I want to play emulator games on my phone or relax and do some cloud gaming on my Surface Pro. It’s small enough to tuck into one of the pockets of my laptop case or simply throw it into my messenger bag.

This controller is compatible with Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, and the Nintendo Switch. There are four different built-in input modes that complement the multitude of connection options. One of the included options supports Xbox inputs, making it a perfect companion for Xbox Cloud Gaming. The SN30 Pro even features rumble in supported software, which is a nice touch.

The SN30 Pro is one of those things that I didn’t know I was missing out on until I first tried it, and since then I’ve had a little obsession with it. I’d highly recommend picking one up if you’re looking for a high-quality controller for gaming on the go.

Sony Playstation 5 by @TreBouncee

It’s been a long time coming but the PlayStation 5 is becoming more and more readily available – including at Micro Center! Sony has always had a way of captivating the public since the first PlayStation, and they solidified their reign with the PlayStation 2. And while the specs are better than ever, the 5th iteration holds the same weight as the first two.

This blazing fast console features a custom 7nm AMD chip that reads at 3.5ghz, 16gb of RAM, and a custom AMD GPU as well. Couple that with an 825gb internal SSD (expandable!), The PS5 is an extremely fast and efficient console that not only games at a high level but also functions as an excellent media hub, with support for both streaming services and an on-board Blu-Ray player (disc models only). The support for 8k/60hz or 4k/120hz is a welcome edition as well. These increased specs will allow you to run games like Spiderman: Miles Morales or God of War: Ragnarök in stunning definition.

The new controller is also an eye-catcher. The Dual Sense wireless controller is not only comfortable but versatile, with support across multiple devices, including PC. The PS5 does come in two different iterations, one that supports disc and one that is digital only. I would recommend the disc version, just for the extra utility.

Whether you’re a gamer or just love streaming, the PS5 is a welcome addition to most homes!

Check your local Micro Center for stock information!

More from the Micro Center Community:

Looking for more gaming? We’ve got articles on Gaming Without Consoles, Gaming Monitors, and Gaming Headsets! And if you can’t find what you’re looking for, don’t hesitate to post a new discussion and the Community will be happy to help!

Comments

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99