Intel® Core™ 14th Gen Processors: Higher Power and New Connectivity

Options

Written by Sean Mekinda

Out today, the next wave of Intel processors have arrived! Launching today are the Intel Core 14th Gen i9-14900k, i7-14700k, and i5-14600k processors, bringing with them the next leap in Intel's processor technology. This new gen features improved speeds and, in the case of the Intel Core i7-14700k, increased cores and threads over its predecessor for even more power.

What's new with Intel Core 14th Gen Processors?

The biggest difference over the previous generation is power. Intel Core 14th Gen continues to make use of Hybrid Processing to better maximize the potential of your chip, sorting processes into Efficiency-Core tasks and Performance-Core tasks, depending on the intensity. E-Cores focus on easier, single-threaded tasks while P-Cores handle the high-intensity, multi-threaded work.

The i5K, i7K, and i9K all see an uptick in frequency in both their P- and E-Cores, with a focus on Max Turbo Boost speeds. The i9K has an additional .2GHz boost in its base clock speeds as well, for both the P- and E-Cores.

The biggest change over their predecessors, however, is in the i7-14700K. The 14700K introduces an extra four E-cores, bringing its total number of cores up to 20. It also ups its thread count by four, bringing it up to 28, as well bumping it's L2 Cache to 28MB and Intel Smart Cache to 33MB, for a total cache size of 61MB. That puts it even closer to the i9's 24 cores/32 threads/68MB Cache, closing the gap between the high-end and mid-tier processors and bringing more power to your average build.

Intel Core 14th Gen processors also feature, for the first time, support for Wi-Fi 7, the latest and greatest wireless connection to date. Wi-Fi 7 offers improved speeds and reliability over previous Wi-Fi generations.

Which Intel Core 14th Gen Processor is Right for My Build?

Deciding which processor to use in your new build boils down to one simple question: what are you planning on using your build for?

You Should Use the i5-14600K if:

You're looking for gaming performance. If your only concern is making sure your games are running smoothly, the Intel Core i5-14500K is a great fit. Intel's Hybrid Processing means that your games will be handled by the most capable cores - the Performance-cores.

You Should Use the i7-14700K if:

You're looking to game and do work. The 17-14700k gives you the power and freedom to game while streaming, giving you the tools to put yourself out there and start making your hobby a career. And when you're not live, the 14700K has the power to help with your video editing projects so you can chop down your stream to the most viral moments.

You Should Use the i9-14900K if:

You need power. The 19-14900k offers peak performance for both gaming and content creation. Export recordings and videos quicker than ever before and get right back to playing the latest AAA titles at killer framerates. Show your audience what you're really capable of.

Intel 13th Gen vs Intel 14th Gen Benchmarks:

Cinebench:

Cinebench tests processors for responsiveness and power in both intensive tasks (multi-core) and general daily usage tasks (single-core). The higher the points the better, and we can clearly see that in both multi- and single-threaded tests, the 14th Gen processors overtake their 13th Gen counterparts. For multi-threaded tests, the 14th Gen beats out 13th Gen by thousands of points.

Intel® Core™ 14th Gen Specs at a Glance

Intel Core 14th Gen Core i9-14900K

• Cores: 24 (8P+16E)
  • Threads: 32
  • Base Clock: 3.2Ghz Performance, 2.4Ghz Efficient
  • Max Turbo Frequency: up to 6.0GHz (5.6GHz Performance, 4.4GHz Efficient)
  • L2 Cache: 32MB
  • Intel Smart Cache (L3 Cache): 36MB
  • Socket: LGA1700
  • Max Memory Speed: DDR5-5600, DDR4-3200
  • Unlocked for Overclocking

Intel Core 14th Gen Core i7-14700K

• Cores: 20 (8P+12E)
  • Threads: 28
  • Base Clock: 3.4Ghz Performance, 2.5Ghz Efficient
  • Max Turbo Frequency: up to 5.6GHz (5.5GHz Performance, 4.3GHz Efficient)
  • L2 Cache: 28MB
  • Intel Smart Cache (L3 Cache): 33MB

Intel Core 14th Gen Core i5-14600K

• Cores: 14 (6P+8E)
  • Threads: 20
  • Base Clock: 3.5Ghz Performance, 2.6Ghz Efficient
  • Max Turbo Frequency: up to 5.3GHz (5.3Ghz Performance, 4.0 Efficient)
  • L2 Cache: 20MB
  • Intel Smart Cache (L3 Cache): 24MB

Intel's new line of 14th Gen processors are available now at Micro Center. Be sure to check out our Intel 14th Gen Build Guide for a great Intel Core i7-14700K build!

Comments

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99