Using non-QVL RAM

I'm getting an ASRock B450M PRO4 motherboard and am planning on just going with the popular 16gb G. Skill DDR4-3200 RAM Ripjaw V series. I went to the QVL section of the motherboard page on ASRock's site and they only have memory lists for older Ryzens and not the new ones with the Matisse core. I'm aware that it's probably fine, but I don't suppose there's an updated or unofficial QVL where someone tested it and posted it's fine?

Comments

• Ian
    Ian admin
    5 Insightfuls 5 Likes First Anniversary 5 LOLs
    Greetings. We would not have any unofficial QVL lists available. We are not aware of any incompatibilities / known issues with that motherboard and RAM so most likely it would be fine to use together. 
  • PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Waffler said:
    I'm getting an ASRock B450M PRO4 motherboard and am planning on just going with the popular 16gb G. Skill DDR4-3200 RAM Ripjaw V series. I went to the QVL section of the motherboard page on ASRock's site and they only have memory lists for older Ryzens and not the new ones with the Matisse core. I'm aware that it's probably fine, but I don't suppose there's an updated or unofficial QVL where someone tested it and posted it's fine?
    As @TSIanL stated, we do not have any "unofficial" QVL lists that we can provide, short of our first hand experience, but you might be able to find official QVL's from G Skill, depending on the exact kit you are using. For example:
    https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/184/1536110676/F4-3200C16D-16GVKB-Qvl

G Skill is pretty good about testing their RAM in a wide variety of boards and providing their own compatibility lists. It's not as in-depth as the motherboard manufacturers as they do not list 2DPC or single vs dual rank compatibility, but it's better than nothing.

As you're likely aware, QVL's don't really mean too much in the grand scheme of things as RAM not on the QVL can still work just fine and RAM on the QVL can still fail to function when loading XMP if the processors memory controller is of weaker silicon.

Hopefully this helps. If you have any questions, let us know!
  • Waffler
    Waffler ✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    TSMichaelB,
    Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for! I didn't know memory manufacturers published their own lists of which motherboards their DIMMs are compatible with. I was happy to see that the RAM and motherboard I've chosen for my build are compatible according to G. Skill. Joy! Now I just have to wait for everything to be restocked!  :|
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99