PC for an architect

So for last week  I've been trying to build a powerful and upgradeable PC that could run huge Archicad projects and could safely store them (I'm thinking about RAID 1), budget is around $5000 or $6000, but could be more if it really needs to. I have very little experience in building a pc myself so it's quite possible I've made some really stupid mistakes - and that's why I'm here. Would be happy to also see some additional advice on custom PC building!
Here's the build: https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=d19be3c4-1118-4163-b278-9327a6f6bd88
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    First, you put together a really list of high quality parts. My issue with the motherboard, and the power supply. They're great components, but it doesn't seem like you'll be utilizing them. You can save a lot of money here that could go into your GPU. With the power supply you picked a 1200W unit, you could this room on a 650W with room to spare. I would go a little higher, 750-850 and the EVGA Supernova's are great power supplies, stick with that line.

Regarding the motherboard. You may have selected that due to lack of other options as we are very low on X570 boards at this time, but this a board built for overclocking. Top tier VRM, it's built for hardcore overclocking. LN2 or DICE. I would like at something like a ASUS X570-E Strix. You'll get a premium VRM, dual LAN. Everything you'll need and it's a sub $300 board. Between those two components you should save yourself about $400. You can put that into the GPU and step up to an RTX 2080. Keep in mind the default rendering engine with Archicad renders with the CPU only. It would be worth looking at Lumion as a GPU rendering add on that make much better use of your hardware.
  • TSMikeW said:
    First, you put together a really list of high quality parts. My issue with the motherboard, and the power supply. They're great components, but it doesn't seem like you'll be utilizing them. You can save a lot of money here that could go into your GPU. With the power supply you picked a 1200W unit, you could this room on a 650W with room to spare. I would go a little higher, 750-850 and the EVGA Supernova's are great power supplies, stick with that line.
    For power supply I wanted it to run at around half of the load so there would be lower chance of failure and also I thought about an option of some heavy upgrading later so a lot of spare wattage seemed like a good idea.
    TSMikeW said:
    Regarding the motherboard. You may have selected that due to lack of other options as we are very low on X570 boards at this time, but this a board built for overclocking. Top tier VRM, it's built for hardcore overclocking. LN2 or DICE. I would like at something like a ASUS X570-E Strix. You'll get a premium VRM, dual LAN. Everything you'll need and it's a sub $300 board. Between those two components you should save yourself about $400. You can put that into the GPU and step up to an RTX 2080. Keep in mind the default rendering engine with Archicad renders with the CPU only. It would be worth looking at Lumion as a GPU rendering add on that make much better use of your hardware.
    And about motherboard I really wanted it to work with RAID's (especially RAID 1) so there wasn't much of a choice, also like with a power supply I thought about some heavy upgrading so I just wanted the best motherboard I could find so I wouldn't need to replace it.
    Is this way of thinking good? Or are these just huge overkills even when having what I said in mind?
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I'll say that having a good quality power supply is never a bad thing and it's one component I would never go cheap on, and it's something a lot of people will do. However, with your specs, I doubt you're going to to put a 600W draw on it under load so I do think it's overkill. The Supernova G3's have 10 year warranties, they last a long time and hold up very well.

You're going to have the same RAID options on either of those boards, 0, 1 and 10.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99