I'm thinking of upgrading my Laptop over the holidays, and I've got a couple of questions.

Options

I've got a HP Pavilion Laptop thats only 2 years old, and I'm looking to upgrade the necessary parts to run a few games. Below, I've listed what my current specifications are.

• RAM - 8GB
  • Graphics - Intel(R) UHD Graphics
  • Adapter RAM - 1 GB
  • CPU - i5 10210 @ 1.6 Ghz, 2112 Mhz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors

First question: Can this laptop have individual parts changed, and would I be able to do so with the below listed parts? Would I be able to get this service at Microcenter?

Second, the Steam system recommendations have offered something different for each game, Risk of Rain 2, Dead by Daylight, and Noita (I can run this, but really poorly), but thankfully the primary problem seems to be with the graphics card.

• RoR2 - GTX 680 / AMD HD 7970
  • DbD - DX11 Compatible GeForce 760 or AMD HD 8800 or higher with 4GB of RAM
  • Noita - 1024MB VRAM, OpenGL 3.0 support

Would any of these cards work for each game, or does one game demand way more than the others? Would the part even fit in a laptop?

Last question: the recommended processor, but not minimum, for RoR2 is an Intel i5-4670k. It shouldn't be a problem that I have an i5-10210U, right? Same follow up question, if I would need to get that part, would it fit in a laptop?

Thank you very much, and I hope you all have a good day!

Answers

• Yingdong
    Yingdong ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Likes
    edited December 2021
    Options

You can not, or say most likely not going to be able to up grade cpu and gpu in the laptop, they are soldered to the mainboard(exclude some crazily expensive and heavy systems, for example----Alienware Area-51m R2).

According to your list, your laptop is using UHD 630, an mobile cpu integrated graphic, is not capable to play most, if not all 3D graphic games(even the really old ones back in 2010).

The parts you are most likely able to upgrade are ram, storage, and sometimes m.2. wireless card.

The possible solution for your problem, if your laptop has a thunderbolt port, is to get a egpu dock and connect the gpu through the thunderbolt port. But that would be really costly and not worth the effort. It's just better off to get a gaming laptop straight forward.

• Ian
    Options

Greetings. Yes, with a laptop you would not be able to make those upgrades to processor and video card.

It would be much simpler to look into purchasing a gaming laptop.

You can check our selection of available gaming laptops here: https://www.microcenter.com/category/4294967288,4294818187/gaming-laptops

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99