Why is Windows 10 failing to install from USB on a new build?

Options

I put together a new build, and am trying to install Windows 10. I bought the Windows USB installer and am booting from that.

AFAICT, everything looks happy and good in the BIOS, and I see all expected hardware reported there.

In the BIOS, I have ensured that the USB key is the boot device, it is in EUFI mode, I have disabled FastBoot, and I've looked for and experimented with anything else that seems like it could be relevant. (I have also reset all settings to factory defaults, and tried each of these things individually.) I also have tried with the key in each and every USB port.

It does start to boot from the USB key, and I get a "Loading files..." progress bar, but towards the end it fails every time with the same message:

Windows Failed to Start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause...

Info: An unexpected error has occured.

I'm really running out of idea here.

For reference, the build components are as follows:

B550 MPG Gaming Plus AMD AM4 ATX Motherboard

Ryzen 5 5600G Cezanne 3.9GHz 6-Core AM4 Boxed Processor - Wraith Stealth Cooler Included

Ripjaws V 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F4-3200C16D-16GVKB - Black

512GB SSD 3D TLC NAND SATA 3.0 6 GBps 2.5 Inch 7mm Internal Solid State Drive

H510 Flow Tempered Glass ATX Mid-Tower Computer Case - White

450 BR 450 Watt 80 Plus Bronze ATX Non-Modular Power Supply

Windows 10 Home 32/64-Bit - USB

Answers

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE