CPU overheating?

Options

Just bought a Powerspec G438 with i7-10700k intel processor.

Just downloaded and ran Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. Ran XTU2 Benchmark to just look at results. The test runs for about 30 seconds and my CPU temp went from 35dec C to 90dec C with Thermal Throttling kicking in at 90dec C. Question: is this normal? I would have thought temps wouldn't run that high. Looking at G438 reviews some people have commented that their cpu's didn't have thermal paste applied between cpu and cooler. Is this a possiblity. Yes, powerspec is on metal stand, about 4 inches above floor with about 6 inches of airspace around the case.

Thanks!!

Bob

Answers

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited December 2021
    Options

@BobG55

The XTU2 benchmark is a heavy AVX2 load. This will actually hit higher temps that the stress test. It's close to running Prime95 on your system, these are max load temps that you're never going to see under normal circumstances. I'd expect high 80's, low 90's with this motherboard, CPU combo. The reason I mention the motherboard instead of the AIO, is this board is designed to prevent limiting the processors performance.

Regarding the thermal paste issue. If it wasn't applied you'd be at 100c instantly and throttling hard.

• BobG55
    Options

Thanks for the info!!!! Appreciate you answering my question.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99