Inland M.2 nvme SSD Saying not presented in MSI Bios

Options

I recently upgraded my motherboard. Everything is working except my 2nd M.2 SSD is not showing up anywhere. Ive been using this SSD for a while now with no problems. My bios are up to date as well but still nothing. I've also made sure it was seated properly on my board.

Any help?

Answers

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options

Greetings @cdutt2727,

Please list your motherboard model, system spec and which M.2 slot the drive is installed in.

• cdutt2727
    Options

Hi, I have a MSI b550 tomahawk MAG. I talked to MSI and we figured out the M.2 Slots were not the problem as a plugged my main ssd in to both and it worked. I have a m.2 external housing that I plugged my ssd into and that through usb and I was able to get it to read. It just wont show up when attached to the motherboard m.2 slot. Could this be a compatibility issue? Or a software Issue? Thanks

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@cdutt2727

Yes, if it works in an enclosure, you've tested all the ports and the item won't even show in the BIOS, then it's a compatibility issue between the board and the NVME controller. Looking online indicates the MSI boards had issues recognizing some NVME drives about a year ago, but most report the issue was solved with a BIOS update.

• cdutt2727
    Options

Okay. I've read online that the ssd can have a driver update. Is that true? Is there anything I can do or do I have to get a new ssd?

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@cdbutt2727

Drives could have a firmware update made available for them, but none is currently available for this drive. The drive could be used externally. I'll see if I have a comparable MSI board this week to test this with and we'll see what we can do.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@cdutt2727

I didn't have a Tomahawk available. I did have a MSI B550 Pro-VDH WIFI available and tested the Inland 1TB Premium which was detected. Do you have the Premium or Platinum drive and what capacity?

• cdutt2727
    Options

Im not sure if its premium or platinum. Im pretty sure it was premium. it doesn't say on the drive. But its a 2TB and it was like $200 from your store.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    edited January 2022
    Options

@cdutt2727

Tested with an Inland 2TB Premium drive and no issues detecting the drive in the BIOS. You're able to enter the BIOS, select Storage and there's nothing underneath the M.2_1/2 category with that M.2 installed?

Also please list your full specs if you could, and we'll look into everything we can.

• cdutt2727
    Options
    Yeah I’ve tested my boot drive which is a WD on both ports and it recognizes that. The inland one won’t show up in the bios on either slot just says not presented. Here’s my specs: MSI b550 tomahawk Mag, evga 3070ti, ryzen 5 5600x, Corsair vengence 32gb ram, Corsair AIO, WD 500 gb boot drive nvme, evga 750pws, and the inland SSD. 
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@cdutt2727

I haven't been able to replicate it and I couldn't find the Inland 2TB SSD in your order history. We need to find out the exact model. From there, we'll get a sample. test it and contact MSI for solution. It will be a process but we'll certainly follow through with it to see if MSI can offer a solution. If you have your purchase information, let me know. I'll create a ticket so that we can get that information from you privately. If you're able to take a picture of the label on the SSD, that would suffice as well.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    edited January 2022
    Options

@cdutt2727

I did setup the MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk and tested with the Inland 2TB. First tested with a Ryzen 5 3400G on the A50 BIOS. Drive was detected. Tested on the latest A80 BIOS, drive was detected in both slots.

I replicated your setup with the 5600X, 3070 Ti, A80 BIOS. Drive was detected.

Attaching a picture of the initial test with the 3400G.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@cdutt2727

At this point given that we're not replicating the issue. I would backup the drive and assuming the drive is still under the manufacturers warranty, bring it into the store and have them replace it under warranty.

• cdutt2727
    Options

Okay sounds good. How long does the warranty last on them?

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@cdutt2727

I believe this was changed at some point. It's either 3 or 6 years. I don't have purchase information to verify, but the store should be able to look you up either way.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99