Powerspec G901 will not recognize Monitor in Display port.

Options

Good evening, I purchased this system today and have not been able to get the display port to recognize any of my older monitors. I have my main monitor plugged into the HDMI port and the second monitor plugged into the display port(both ports on the RTX 3080). I have tried all 3 of the display ports and 2 different (older) monitors. These monitors worked on the older system. The cables work on the older system. The cables are Display port to DVI.

Windows 11 has been installed. The second monitor is not even shown as an option in the settings. It is like the GPU isnt sensing anything in the display ports. If anyone has any suggestions I a open to giving it a shot.

Thanks

Answers

• PowerSpec_MichaelB
    Options

Welcome to the forum. This is certainly an odd one. Do you happen to know the build number of the G901 you are using (should be in the top right corner of the serial sticker on the back of the system)? I want to know the exact GPU used in the system to help narrow down some troubleshooting steps.

Depending on the card, you may have 3 DP and 2 HDMI. If you have a card with 2 HDMI, try swapping the HDMI to a different HDMI port. Theory being, they may have wired the additional HDMI port to share bandwidth with one of the DP ports (technically you can only support 4 monitors on these cards despite having 5 ports).

Also, to confirm, the one DP monitor you have working is functional on any of the 3 DP ports on the card? If so, that rules out the ports being defective as well as that specific monitor/cable combination. Since your older monitors are adapting DVI to DP, it is possible that the card isn't liking the cable/adapter for some reason. It normally isn't an issue when going from digital to digital, but if you are converting from analog to digital it can be an issue. Either way, if you have another monitor with straight DP to DP, it might be worth testing that as well to rule out the adapter cables.

With more information, I am confident we can get to the bottom of this.

• CmG
    Options

My build is number 9. I dont know how this happened but I did some more testing and swapping of cables. It seems that in the process of going from old to new computer one of the cables is bad. I hooked the old computer back up and the monitor did not work. I then swapped cables and the monitor worked. I then moved that monitor with that cable to the new system and it worked. Thanks for the reply. Looks like I just need to get another cable.

• PowerSpec_MichaelB
    Options

Thank you for the confirmation, B9 would have been the Nvidia Founders Edition 3080 which doesn't have any of the HDMI shenanigans I mentioned previously. Glad to hear you got to the bottom of it and it was something that is easy/cheap to replace. Let us know if you need anything else!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99