Monitor won't display anything unless I power it before the PC

Options
If I turn the PC on first and then the monitor, it will say display port no signal. If I turn the monitor on first then the PC, it works. What's the solution?

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@Narry77

We'll can look into this for you. I'll need to know the motherboard brand/model, as well as the monitor model and the type of video port you're using. I've seen some boards that will hang on POST with a VGA debug with no monitor connected, which creates issues if you're trying to run a system headless essentially.

• Narry77
    Options
    It's an MSI z690-a ddr4 with Asus Vg279qm. Now from what I suspect, it is not hanging but has something to do with signalling. The computer boots just fine. It's just that if I don't turn the monitor on first, it reports no signal and shutting it on or off won't initialize it. If I power the monitor then the PC, everything is ok. I'm using display port by the way. 
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@Narry

What GPU do you have or are you testing on the IGP?

Tested this morning with the same motherboard, RTX 3060 and an ASUS VE228 monitor. Tested with HDMI and a DP to HDMI adapter. I'm not experiencing the issue inside or outside of the operating system. I can turn the system on, immediately turn on the monitor, or wait 5-10 seconds, and I get a display.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99