What to do, What to do...

Options

I am trying to figure out my best path forward to upgrade/replace my older gaming PC build. Here is my current build built back in 2016.

• AMD FX-8350
  • Asus 970 pro/gaming aura
  • Nvidia GTX 750-Ti
  • Mushkin ECO2 240GB
  • Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB
  • G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 C11 2x8GB

With the current pricing on video cards and the fact that I will also need to replace my wife's computer (Same Specs) I am trying to way all my options. I plan to reuse anything I can from my current build (likely just the case and both drives) but not sure how to proceed. Had a thought of doing this build but from the things I have read it does not sound like I would get all that much better performance out of the onboard graphics than I do with the older 750-Ti.

• AMD Ryzen 5700G
  • Asus B550 - A ROG Strix Gaming AMD AM4 ATX MB
  • Onboard (Until prices come down on video cards)
  • Mushkin ECO2 240GB
  • Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB
  • Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16 Dual ChannelG

Would I see a big improvement with this build or would I be better off waiting for prices to come back down and purchasing the 5600X with the RTX 3060? How about only replacing the video card in my current machine? Would I see a big improvement there or would the older processor /MB combo prevent me from seeing a big upgrade?

We mainly play WOW but I also have the Gamepass Ultimate and enjoy playing some of the newer games. Currently it have found I have to run everything on the lowest setting to get it to run smoothly. (This includes Age of Empires which I thought would be a very easy game to run) I can only imagine trying to run a newer game that would be more demanding.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Comments

• Ian
    Options

Greetings. So you are in a bit of a weird spot here and going for all new parts would be the best idea in my opinion, here's why -

The 750 Ti will outperform any onboard graphics easily, so if you are already graphically struggling in games, a new processor may make a very minor difference, but it wouldn't really be noticeable. If you got a new video card, such as a 3000 series card, or even a 2000 series card, then you would end up being bottlenecked by your prior CPU.

The best way to approach this for optimal performance would be a full new build.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99