Need help picking a cooler for a prebuilt G511

Options
BeefNRagu
BeefNRagu
edited March 2022 in PowerSpec

Hi, I just bought a Powerspec G511 and I've had no issues so far and its running great. But after running some Cyberpunk on max settings I started to notice the top heating up and hearing the CPU more. After looking at the temp it was all the way up to 95 C. However my GPU temp remains within a normal range. At rest my CPU temp sits at around 60 C so im unsure if its being properly cooled.

There seems to be one fan on the bottom and one smaller one on the back side. This is my first ever gaming computer so I'm extremely clueless but is there any way to put another cooler in here so my CPU stops overheating.

Any help or suggestions would help, thanks!

Answers

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    Options

All of the coolers will have listed how tall they are (where "tall" really means how much they stick out). So in the picture above, imagine it coming out towards you and bumping into the case side panel. So you need to remove the side panel and with a ruler measure how "tall" of a cooler will fit in that case from the base of the stock cooler outward. Then shop from there either by taking that number in to your local MC and finding a sales rep in the BYOPC section or browsing the category for coolers on the website.

• Hi, I'm having the exact same issue. Were you able to solve the overheating and what did you do to fix it?

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options

@BeefNRagu

Max cooler height is 150MM. Keep that in mind if you're shopping for a new cooler.

As for the temperatures, hitting 95C is not overheating. There's a reddit post from AMD's Robert Hallock:

Robert(his bold font):

Yes. I want to be clear with everyone that AMD views temps up to 90C (5800X/5900X/5950X) and 95C (5600X) as typical and by design for full load conditions. Having a higher maximum temperature supported by the silicon and firmware allows the CPU to pursue higher and longer boost performance before the algorithm pulls back for thermal reasons.

Is it the same as Zen 2 or our competitor? No. But that doesn't mean something is "wrong." These parts are running exactly as-designed, producing the performance results we intend.

"https://old.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/jsy8bw/robert_hallocks_response_to_all_zen_3_thermal/#bottom-comments"

What we're used to with older processors is that when you hit that TJMax, the CPU throttles and performance suffers. With Zen 3 processors and Intel Alder Lake CPU's to an extent, the CPU is going to take advantage of any headroom it has, they're leaving nothing on the table. Better cooling typically means a better boost clock. Or if you're overclocking, undervolt for additional headroom and you'll get the same effect. Just keep in mind adjustments to voltage and clock speed can impact stability.

What I would look at to see if you're really having a problem is check the CPU frequency. Base clock is 3.7Ghz. If you're hitting 95C or close to it and you're boosting past that the processor is operating as designed. If you're dropping below base clock that would be cause for concern.

As an example to better explain this, if you upgrade the air cooler, you may still hit 95C, but you may do so at a higher boost clock.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99