Seeking advice regarding cause of very slow desktop.

Options

Hello,

I’m having trouble with a refurbished desktop that I bought from MicroCenter’s online store about 9 months ago. It is a Dell Optiplex 3040, running Windows 10 Pro, with ~256 GB of solid state hard drive, 8 GB of RAM, and an i5-6500 processor at 3.2GHz (I think it is dual-core or quad-core).

It worked great for the first 6-7 months, but about 1-2 months ago, I got concerned about some noticeable slowness in playing games and YT videos. I was also concerned about an idle RAM usage of about 30%, but later found out that that is fairly normal for Win10.

I had some concern for the slowness being a symptom of a virus since I had no other explanation. Out of an abundance of caution, and out of curiosity of going through the process, I performed a reset of the desktop. I didn’t save my files, programs, etc on the PC– it was a total reset.

But after this reset, the PC got even slower. Internet connectivity was quite slow when downloading the required Windows updates. When trying to watch YT videos, about 50% of the time the video would turn into a GIF.

Thus, I tried another reset. But yet again, after this 2nd reset, the PC seemed like it was even slower. Now when I turn it on, sometimes just opening File Explorer and typing are like watching a GIF because they are so slow and patchy.

Would appreciate some advice on the possible root causes and fixes.

P.S. – When the computer was working, I was using Bitdefender AntiVirus and using the desktop mostly for Steam / gaming, a little word processing, and news article / YT video browsing.

Answers

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99