Did I just get a bad CPU?

Options

Hello All!

I am having a problem with a recent build and am beginning to wonder if I simply have a bad processor.

I recently bought a MSI B550 Tomahawk motherboard and an AMD Ryzen 5 5600 G processor to go with it. (Both at Microcenter of course)

I set up the build and connected power. While all the fans went on and spun, etc., no video signal was received by the monitor. Cpu light glowing red on the troubleshooter built into the motherboard.

I plugged my old processor an AMD 7 1700 X in the same setup and got to the BIOS/setup screen right away, using an Asus rx 550 4G video card.

Fearing that the BIOS needed updating, I went to the website, downloaded and installed the latest BIOS update, and successfully flashed the BIOS (Version 7C91vA92)

I put the old processor (Ryzen 7 1700 X) back in, along with the aforementioned video card and booted to the BIOS screen, no problem at all (even seemed a little snappier, but that could have been my imagination).

I put in the new processor (the aforementioned AMD Ryzen 5 5600 G) and hit the power button. Same result, fans spin, no video signal at all. (Red CPU light on steady red on the motherboard)

I pull the video card and plug the HDMI cable directly into the HDMI slot on the motherboard, thinking that perhaps the video signal is being diverted there due to some innate software or jumper setting, and try again. Same result, fans spin, no video signal.(Red CPU light on steady red on the motherboard)

Is there something obvious I am missing? Do I prob. have a bad CPU? Any and all thoughts and observations welcome and thanks in advance!

Comments

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99