PowerSpec B684

Options

Hi,

I normally purchase Dell or HP, but the PowerSpec looked like a good setup and deal to quickly replace a failed unit. I setup the new PowerSpec B684, applied all Windows updates, and looked for the driver update utility. I did not find one preloaded, so I started searching, and Microcenter has manual directions out there for downloading drivers for their systems, but no directions on keeping drivers up-to-date. The Motherboard is an ASUSTek PRIME H510M-E and they appear to have an automated driver update utility, but it's unclear if that will work reliably or if PowerSpec/Microcenter has their own update utility. If you have any:

• Experience with automated driver updates on these PowerSpec systems
  • Links for the preferred utility
  • Any Advice on keeping these system's drivers up-to-date

I would appreciate it. This isn't bad for a one off replacement for a failed PC, but if driver management isn't available for these systems, it's unlikely I would purchase another one. For now, I let Windows install the optional hardware driver in Windows Updates, but letting Windows Update replace hardware drivers is a crap-shoot at best and is more likely to BSOD you than keep you running smoothly.

Thanks,

Jeff

Answers

• asianse
    asianse ✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Awesomes 5 Likes 5 Up Votes
    Options
    I've personally never had problems with Windows updating drivers causing a BSOD. Aside from checking for driver updates here, http://www.powerspec.com/support/support_archive.phtml?selection=B683 I don't think there is a driver update utility.
    I also thought that driver updates are rare and don't really change compatibility of components? Correct me if I'm wrong
  • GoatForHire
    Options

There's not a driver updater for PowerSpec machines from my experience. Driver updates are pretty rare outside of NVIDIA/AMD video card drivers and usually are only released for major issues/compatibility updates. It's not necessary to have a driver manager in my opinion.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options

Greetings @Jeffery

The latest qualified driver set is available on Windows Update. This is the driver set we tested internally and qualified. You can install Armoury Crate for automatic driver updates. The BIOS is customized for us to the extent of changing defaults. You can enable the Armoury Crate setting in the BIOS under "Tools" and it'll prompt you to download, assuming you have an internet connection.

As for driver updates and my own feelings on this. I'm worried about video drivers, I'm making sure they're updated when a new game launches. I keep an eye on chipset drivers, particularly around new OS launches or major servicing updates as issues can arise. Such as the issue with AMD experienced early on with Windows 11, that was fixed promptly. Apart from that with audio and network drivers in particular. I'm not touching those drivers unless I'm experiencing an issue. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99