What is causing zoom recordings to display like this on my new PC?

Options
stickyKeys
edited March 2022 in General Discussion

I recently purchased an "HP Pavilion TG01-2032 Gaming PC; AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9GHz Processor; AMD Radeon RX 6600XT 8GB GDDR6" from the Madison Heights MicroCenter and, overall, I have been happy with its performance. For some reason though, whenever I go to view my zoom lecture recordings online, the videos are distorted to the point of being unwatchable (as can be seen in the attached image). Strangely, this problem only occurs with zoom recordings. Games, youtube videos, etc. all display as they should.

If anyone could help me resolve this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

(OS is Windows 11. Both the pc and monitor (Dell SE2422H 23.8" Full HD (1920 x 1080) 75Hz LED Monitor) drivers are up to date)

Best Answer

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Answer ✓
    Options

@stickyKeys

Changing the refresh rate is what I was wondering about there. No go. Disabling the hardware acceleration features in Zoom made no difference as well. Lets try this. Disable your GPU in device manager. Should force you to use the generic driver, basically it'll be CPU rendered video. See if the issue remains.

Answers

• Yingdong
    Yingdong ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Likes
    Options

More likely an unstable internet connection. Or, also could be some issues with video decoding

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@stickyKeys

It does look like a buffering/connectivity issue, but that doesn't apply to a recording unless it's streamed and it wouldn't be consistent. Decoding is the place to start as was suggested above. I'd go into your advanced video settings. First toggle hardware acceleration. it should be on, test it with it off. You can also test with the post processing settings disabled.

• stickyKeys
    Options

Thank you both for responding.

@TSMikeW

Hardware acceleration isn't available for the 6600xt, as far as I can tell, but I was able to go through and toggle the post processing settings to see if they were the cause and none of them improved the blurry zoom recording quality.

However, I just noticed that it's only two of the lecture recordings that my computer has a problem with. So, I opened them up on a different computer to make sure it wasn't a problem with the video themselves and they played fine🤷‍♂️

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@stickyKeys

You've got a 5600G. Are you able to test it on the APU to see if it's just an issue with the 6600 XT?

• stickyKeys
    edited March 2022
    Options

@TSMikeW

I was able to set the default graphics for the browser to the APU and then toggle the post processing settings, but the issue remains with select zoom recordings.

I find it so strange that it only happens with zoom recordings, and only certain ones at that.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@stickyKeys

Please post a screenshot of your advanced video settings in Zoom. Also, what's the refresh rate on your monitor?

• stickyKeys
    Options

@TSMikeW

The refresh rate of the monitor is 75hz. I've tried lowering to 60hz to see if that would improve anything, but it didn't.

Here's the screen shot you asked for, but I view the recordings online so I'm not sure if the zoom app settings will have any effect on it.

• stickyKeys
    edited March 2022
    Options

@TSMikeW

Apologies for the late response but disabling the GPU through the device manager seems to have fixed the issue!

Thanks! I really appreciate your help with figuring this out.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@stickyKeys

It's an odd work around. Doesn't really solve the issue, but it does confirm the issue lies with the Radeon card and the rendering method Zoom is employing.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99