Linux-Optimized Processor & Motherboard Selection Considerations

Hi everyone:

Not sure if this is the best place for this question, but it looked like the best match from what I had seen so far, so here goes:

I want to build a new desktop PC optimized for OpenMandriva Linux OS, and I want to use it primarily for:

3D CAD/CAM & solid modeling

Audio and video creation/editing

Graphics & photo image creation/editing

Real time audio analysis software

Internet browsing (roughly 20 windows with 100 tabs each typically open at any given time.)

Multiple email accounts

Some office software - spreadsheets, databases, word processing

(NOTE: I’m not interested in gaming per se.)

I use OpenMandriva exclusively, and have been since the early days of Mandrake/Mandriva, and I intend to continue to do so.

I have also been very satisfied with AMD, and would prefer to make the most intelligent selection from among their most recent product offerings and compatible motherboard combinations.

I know that I could simply order the latest & greatest (read: most expensive) regardless of cost, but I don’t see the benefit of purchasing and paying for something in excess of what is actually needed that will have little to no real benefit for the purposes intended.

There are several internet sources of information regarding how to select compatible components to build a dedicated purpose PC; only a few focus on optimizing for Linux… so I thought, why not put the idea out in front of the community? If there might be any particular options to consider in that respect, I would like to know.

Given these qualifications, what would be your opinions, suggestions, and/or recommendations for component selection?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated, and thank you all for your assistance.

I truly do appreciate your help.

Comments

• Yingdong
    Yingdong ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Likes

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x (currently $400 at microcenter)

motherboard: B550 aorus elite(currently $150 at microcenter, bundle and get the $20 off)

ram: Crucial Ballistix 16gb x 4 @3200mhzCL16($226 at amazon)

GPU: RTX 3060(~$450-$500, where ever you can find one)

PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 80+ gold($90 at newegg, https://www.newegg.com/super-flower-leadex-iii-sf-750f14hg-750w/p/1HU-024C-00006)

m2: 980 pro 1tb(~$140 when discounted, had gone down to $120 once)

HDD storage: WD blue 4TB($60 at newegg)

Cooler: if you don't care about liquid cooler, I'd suggest you go with Thermalright at ~$60, try this:https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-140-V3-ARGB-Technology/dp/B09CGW8B22 I promise you would be impressed)

Case: NZXT H510 White($85)

Thermal paste: Thermalright includes tf7 paste, which is already one of the best pastes.

The total comes down to ~$1700

• Yingdong
    Yingdong ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Likes

And if you feel the cost is too much, you can downgrade some of the selected parts, like this:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5600x (currently $210 at microcenter)

motherboard:B450 Aorus M(currently $85 at microcenter, bundle and get the $20 off)

ram: Crucial Ballistix 16gb x 2@3200mhzCL16($113 at amazon)

GPU: RTX 3060(~$450-$500, where ever you can find one)

PSU: Evga Bronze 650 BQ($60 at newegg, https://www.newegg.com/evga-500-bq-110-bq-0500-k1-500w/p/N82E16817438101?)

M.2.: Teamgroup T-Force Cardeo Zero Z330 1TB($80 at newegg)

HDD storage: WD blue 4TB($60 at newegg)

Cooler: use the stock Wraith Stealth cooler comes with the 5600x

Case: Lian Li Lancool 205M($80 at microcenter)

Thermal paste: Arctic Mx 4 (~$7)

And this total comes down to ~$1150, it's certainly not as powerful as the first one, but well, it's good enough.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99