PCU Overheating leading to shutdown. Unknown issue as to whats causing it.

Options

I've been working on this issue for quite some time, PC will run fine for about 3 weeks then experience overheating shutdown issues which is PCU related. I frequently remove dust with an electronic air duster, keep the PC in a good location for air flow and all fans are working. I will list a picture with all of my specs. The watercooler works, pump has flow but I'm wondering at this point if it is enough. Its seated correctly as far as i can tell, have removed and replaced thermal paste twice, currently using corsair XTM50 paste. I have thermal Grizzley waiting, if i can figure out first if i should try a new more effective watercooler. I have all updated drives and windows editions, scanned my computer in windows defender offline, shutdown all background non-essential programs, and restarted windows management instrumentation. I've also gone through the bios, nothing is overclocked as far as i can tell. I did set PCU fan to high, however im not entirely sure it did anything. Im not fairly sure if i need to update my bios either. No signs or leaking or imploding capacitors, or burns. GPU seems to run around a stable 5001mhz memory clock while gaming, and periodically jumps to 9000mhz, not sure if that is normal. During start up of the computer i hear a louder clicking by the alternator of the water cooler, which i hear can be air bubbles, but theyre not in the pump, just at the top as far as i can tell. All fans still run at max during startup, with all non-essential startup programs disabled. computer works fine at the temps for normal activities, but if i try to start gaming, i only get an hour tops, before im in a critical range of 90c and the only game i really play is Dota 2, shouldnt be that demanding. Any recommendations to the issue?

Answers

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options

@Jvrabs

That's an extremely high temperature for that game. What program are you checking temperatures with? Did you remove the plastic film from the heatsink when you originally installed it?

• Jvrabs
    Options

@TSMikeW I've been checking temps using core temp, while playing, and bios when just going through and double checking settings. They match up, in bios it slowly and steadily rises to around 60-70c

• Jvrabs
    Options

@TSMikeW I also got this PC as a prebuild down from Columbus, OH. So the plastic should have been removed. The only thing i've done the the build was upgrade the ram from Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16 dual channel, however, i was experiencing these issues before i even did that. When i got the pc, I heard a slight rattle inside the machine and found out later there was a screw that was loose in the PC. Still havent found it place but looked like a mounting screw for the mobo. Which ive heard this mobo has terrible mounting screws and are easily stripped, which in my case without me even touching it, most screws seem to be stripped. Concerning how this was sold to me, just back in may of 2021. At the time had little computer build knowledge. I've brought it in to be seen at microcenter in madison heights, an hour drive for me. Scheduled and appointment brought it in on a friday morning, and waited until next friday. Not even sure if they troubleshot it or if they just said they did, considering how fast they were able to just hand it back over from the "troublshooting" they were currently doing. 5 Full business days, and no results or what seemed to be even effort in providing some ideas. No point in making appointments, when they treat it like a walk in and wont even get to it for about 3 days. I understand the demand and being busy, but so far i have a very distrusting attitude towards the staff.

• Jvrabs
    Options

Also don't mean to come off as a rude or seem like i'm disrespectful. I completely understand busy times and not enough people to sometimes be able to get to the issue. Just a tad frustrating, i love microcenter and will always continue to go there. Just looking for some help.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Jvrabs

I apologize for the poor experience in store. We can pull up the service history and see if we can get you in touch with a manager regarding that.

For resolving your thermal issues, we need to see what's going on with that pump. To be that hot, I'd have to assume either there's still a plastic cover on the heatsink, or the pump isn't running. The latter we can check pretty easily. I don't think we're going to get the pump RPM from a sensor, considering the entire system connects to the board via a 3 pin header, but if you touch the top of the cooler while it's running, you should be able to feel it vibrating. Given you're hearing it startup, it probably is. Next step is going to be to pull that cooler off and check the thermal paste application.

• Jvrabs
    Options

@TSMikeW Would the plastic cover be located on the back side of the motherboard? On the opposite side of the mobo from where the pump is? I've pulled the pump off and thermal paste is good. but not too sure if im looking at a plastic cover or not given its hard to see if im looking at the correct area. I appreciate your help as well.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Jvrabs

If this was the issue, it would be on the pump where it physically touches the processor. Can you send us a picture of the heatsink and CPU? Also, did yo notice if the pump was vibrating when the system was on?

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    Options

About the only thing that makes sense is that the pump isn't pumping well. Is there software installed that monitors the pump speed and fluid temperatures? So far I only see mention of the CPU temperature.

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    Options

I got a notify that someone replied to me but now it's missing? Is there a problem with the website?

• Ian
    Ian admin
    First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes 5 LOLs
    edited March 2022
    Options

There was some spam removed that was off-topic from the discussion.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99