Anovia
Anovia
edited March 2022 in Help Choosing Parts

so starting with my current build.

motherboard: Gigabyte 450m ds3h

cpu: ryzen 5 2600

gpu: gtx 1660

sata ssd, 64 gigs of ram, 500 watt PS.

so gonna upgrade to a Ryzen 9 5900x and to an RTX 3070ti. Now im asking do i need to upgrade the motherboard because i cant seem to know if it can be compatible with the cpu i know ill upgrade the power supply and if theres anything else i need to upgrade or recommend please let me know sense i was gonna go pre built but now i can buy the 3070ti now.

Answers

• If you have the correct motherboard listed here, it appears on their list of supported AM4 CPUs.

link -> www (dot) gigabyte (dot) com/Motherboard/B450M-DS3H-rev-1x/support#support-cpu

(I'm too new to post links I guess? sorry!) You can look it up yourself too by going to gigabyte's website, looking up your motherboard, clicking 'Support", then "CPU Support".

Please note that it will probably require a BIOS update, and you will need the old CPU to perform that update. the 5900x requires the F60 BIOS version, so ensure you have that installed before swapping CPUs.

Only other thing you might want to do is ensure you have adequate cooling. you are going from a 2600 (65w TDP) to a 5900x (105w TDP), so it will make more heat (40 watts more!). If you already have a nice air cooler (I prefer Noctua or beQuiet, but there are many that will work!) then you should be fine, but if you have been using a CPU cooler that came with the processor in the same box (like the wraith cooler), you may see thermal throttling.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the upgrade!

~kk

• aihuman
    Options

You might want to upgrade PSU aswell for that 3070ti.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99