Video problems with new build

Options

After a new build, we saw the video working one time. Now the monitor displays a completely garbled look. What happened from working to not working? We plugged in a network cable to the mobo. Makes no sense.

Here are the parts:

Here's how it looks:

What's the best way to get to the bottom of the problem?

Comments

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    Options

What have you tried so far? You mentioned plugging in a network cable. Perhaps that simply partly knocked out the video cable? Also try to remove the graphics card completely and reinsert it in case it was bumped loose from its slot.

• Ian
    Ian admin
    First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes 5 LOLs
    Options

I would start by trying all the ports on your video card, multiple cables, and multiple monitors to see if the issue persists.

• WBPearce
    Options

Thanks for the thoughts, @magarity and @Ian.

So far we have tried:

1. reseating the card multiple times,
    2. connecting the monitor to another computer (using hdmi, it works fine),
    3. connecting hdmi and display port cables to the video card and monitor, every port on the video card (same problem).

We don't have a spare display port cable to try a different one.

Last night we booted up again (multiple times) and now the monitor just says "no signal". We took the video card back to Micro Center and exchanged it for a different video card (RTX 3060 TI), plugged it in and we're back to seeing the garbled display! Now I suspect the mobo is having a problem. I'm still very concerned, because it was a lot to spend for no result. And Micro Center says it will take like two weeks to diagnose hardware :-o

More ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• Ian
    Ian admin
    First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes 5 LOLs
    Options

Do you ever see options to access the BIOS? Or does the display have an issue as soon as you press the power button?

• WBPearce
    Options

Okay, we discovered the problem. My son, who is the other part of we, had left the windows memory stick in the usb slot, so subsequent boots were evidently booting up from that usb(?). Anyway, after removing that from the usb, we were able to boot all the way up and update drivers, etc. It's all working now.

Thanks again @Ian and @magarity !!

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99