Is this a good starting gaming pc?

Options

Is this a good starting gaming pc?

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X Vermeer 3.8GHz 8-Core AM4 Boxed Processor

Motherboard: ASUS - B550-F ROG Strix Gaming (WiFi) AMD AM4 ATX Motherboard

RAM: G.Skill - Trident Z Neo Series RGB 32 GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3600 PC4-28800 CL16 Dual Channel Memory Kit F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC

Case: Lian Li - Lancool II MESH Type C RGB Tempered Glass ATX Mid-Tower Computer Case - Black

Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA 850 GA 850 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply

Video Card: PowerColor - AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT Fighter Dual-Fan 8GB GDDR6 PCIe 4.0 Graphics Card

2.5" SSD: Samsung - 870 EVO 1TB SSD 3-bit MLC V-NAND SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive

Hard Drive: Seagate - BarraCuda 3TB 5400RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Heat Sink: Enermax - ETS-N31 CPU Cooler

Case Fans: Lian Li - UNI FAN SL120 Fluid Dynamic Bearing 120mm Case Fan w/ Controller - 3 Pack Black

I want a decently powerful PC that will hold up for a long while. I prefer speed and framerates over amazing graphics, but I would still like the games I play to look decent. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated, especially if it brings down the price.

Answers

• asianse
    asianse ✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Awesomes 5 Likes 5 Up Votes
    Options

If the main purpose for the PC will be gaming and you are on a strict budget, I would downgrade the CPU (to maybe a 5600X) and get a better GPU. Every Thursday there is an AMD GPU drop at https://www.amd.com/en/direct-buy/us where you can snag one at 9:55 AM EST. For $480 you can get a reference RX 6700 XT.

In general, 99% of video games aren't going to demand that fast of a CPU and it is the GPU that is rendering the frames. Also if you want to you can look for a 2x8GB of RAM. I'm on a system with 16GB of RAM and I have never run out of RAM for all my daily tasks, 50 chrome tabs, or intensive gaming. You can always upgrade later if you feel like you need more memory.

The CPU cooler is also negligible. If you want to overclock your CPU, then yes however that is just a marginal 5-10% increase in performance which I've personally never needed.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99