Looking for a new CPU fan and/or case fan

WildFyreful
WildFyreful ✭✭
First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
edited July 2023 in Help Choosing Parts

I've started using my custom PC a bit more intensively lately and noticed quite a bit of heat coming out of it. I might need to upgrade my fan, but I can't find my specs for fan size or anything. That's important because a better fan I got for this build before it was finished was way too big to actually fit in my case. (If anyone needs a Scythe Mugen fan, just hit me up. I literally can't use it because it's too big for my case). Also, how do I determine which, if both, fans need replacing? They work fine, I just need something better at distributing heat.

Where do I look to find fan specs (specifically things like size) for my case fan and CPU fan? I can't currently find the manual for my CPU that might specify that. Or, if I can't find it anywhere, how do I measure the current fan(s) to ensure the upgraded ones fits?

For reference, my motherboard is the Asus TUF Gaming B550 Plus. CPU is AMD Ryzen 5 5600G (AM4). The case is a Cougar Mx330 G mid-size tower, and it came with a built-in fan.

One fan I'm looking at is the Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB but I appreciate recommendations.

Best Answer

Answers

• Ian
    Ian admin
    5 Insightfuls 5 Likes First Anniversary 5 LOLs

Greetings. What tempatures are you seeing from your processor under load?

• WildFyreful
    WildFyreful ✭✭
    First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited April 2022

When it's not super busy, it sticks around 34-37 Celsius, which is well within range. When playing Divinity II (the most intensive game I have on this machine) it tends to hover around 52-54 C, but can peak a little on occasion if there's a lot going on in the game that's graphically intensive - like lots of fire and explosions and such. I don't tend to run this game for more than an hour or two (maybe 3 if I'm really bored).

My mother is paranoid that such temperatures will somehow set my PC on fire or the carpet on fire. She comes in when the game is running, feels the heat being pumped out of the PC, and gets incredibly paranoid. If it will reassure her, I will upgrade my fan even if it's not strictly necessary. I'd feel a little better too to be frank.

I should also note this PC sits in a cubby in my desk. Will moving it out of that cubby help with airflow or will it not really do much?

• Ian
    Ian admin

54C is the max you see under load? That isn't even coming close to max tempatures under load. Normal operating tempature under load can easily be 80C.

It is the cubby enclosed (as in you are closing/locking it in)?

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    edited April 2022

Here is the AMD specification page for the 5600G : AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600G | AMD

Notice this important part: Max. Operating Temperature (Tjmax) 95°C

This is the temperature at which the CPU will slow itself down and will not exceed. Has your mother ever had a cup of freshly boiled coffee or tea? That is 5C hotter than your CPU's shut down temperature. Politely point out that she has not started any fires with her coffee mug.

The warm air blowing out the back of the PC is just warm. Far less than a hair dryer even. You can plug in her hair dryer in the same room and let her compare which feels hotter.

Moving a PC out of a cubby and onto the desk is a good idea. Warm air piles up in the cubby and makes it seem warmer than it really is. Do NOT put a PC on the floor because then it basically becomes an electronic dust vaccuum.

• Thank you @magarity and @Ian for the helpful feedback. The cubby isn't totally enclosed (it's open in the front) but I'll see to re-arranging it if I can (might be difficult since the wires are a bit short but I'll give it a go). I'll probably need a little platform to put it on so it's not sitting directly on the carpet, but that's easy enough. Thank you again!

• Awesome! Cool. I'll be up at Mirco Center this weekend so I'll ask and look around :)

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer

MC carries a pretty wide variety of fans, my advice is not to go too cheap - the $5 ones really just don't last long it seems to me. The $10 range is the minimum for fans that will last a couple years in my opinion.

• Ian
    Ian admin

You're welcome. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99