ASUS PRIME Z690-P Adding memory (PowerSpec)

Options
MendotaHS
MendotaHS
First Comment
edited May 2022 in PowerSpec

This motherboard has 4 memory slots. It came with 2 and 4 filled. I'd like to fill the others but, it appears #2 might have an issue. Can I just fill #3? I'd add memory to #1 and #3 but the CPU cooler overhangs #1 so I can't get at it without removing it. Grrr....why in the world would they build it like that???

Should it be able to just fill #3? I realize it'll run in single channel but I don't think I have a choice.

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options

@MendotaHS

I saw your post and first let me say that if you have a bad slot, then the motherboard should be replaced under warranty. Please bring it in and we'll take care of that for you.

The cooler fan clips on. If you pull the plastic tabs and remove the fan, then install the RAM, you shouldn't have any issue reinstalling the fan unless the RAM has an exceptionally tall heat spreader.

Ideally you want your memory in pairs for dual channel operation. If you add another stick and you populated 2-3-4 then you're operating in flex channel. The memory in 2-4 have twice the bandwidth as the memory in 3. It's still extra capacity and the system will prioritize 2-4. If your slot 2 is dead, and you're moving the stick to 3-4, don't do that. You'll be running both sticks in single channel. Instead remove the fan, and move the sticks to 1-3, then you'll be in dual channel mode.

• MendotaHS
    Options

Thanks, now this same computer is producing a CPU high temp error when ever it starts. Forces it into setup but there's nothing to change. The first 2 out of the 3 PowerSpecs I bought have had serious hardware issues. I'm very disappointed. All 3 are going back...

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options

@MendotaHS

We'll certainly take care of the systems in service for you. You reattached the fan, is there any chance the CPU fan cable came loose from the header?

• MendotaHS
    Options

I'm taking them back for refund. 2 out of the first 3 had hardware issues. Didn't even unbox the 3rd.

I never took the fan off. I don't trust the system at all...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99