New powers supply...now dead computer

Options
At the recommendation of a store associate I purchased a new power supply in a new graphics card for my ryzen 7 computer. I took it home follow the directions intently and plug everything back in and now I have a dead computer. It appears the graphics card is getting power. But nothing else. I'm beyond frustrated and ticked off. It worked perfect before this! All I wanted was better graphics! Help!

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options

@BMAC

You have standby power from the sound of it. When you tried to power it on, did you lose the standby power to the GPU?

• BMAC
    Options
    The issue is...I can't get the motherboard, processor or fans to power up. It worked perfectly fine prior to changing put power supply and graphics card. Even hooking it back up with original PSU and original GpU...there is nothing out of motherboard or ryzen 7. I don't see how I could have messed up the motherboard. 

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@BMAC

Reason I asked, if you see standby power and when you try to power on you either hear a click or the LED's go out, that indicates a short. Is this PSU modular, and did you reuse any modular cables from the power supply you replaced?

• BMAC
    BMAC
    First Comment
    edited May 2022
    Options
    The previous psu was a non modular 600w. New is full modular 850w. Came with all new cables. That's what I used. It when you push the power button on the top of the case...nothing happens. With the exception of the gpu red leds. This is what I am trying to install.

ASUS TUF RTX3070TI O8G GAMING(replacing radeon rx570 gpu

MAINGEAR 850W GD FULL ATX MG
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@BMAC

It's not shorting then. Upload a picture of your build if you could.

• BMAC
    Options

im at work now...but this was the original computer from bestbuy. I seems there is no power to the power button on top of the case (maybe get new case?). Im beginning to wonder if that is the issue. I have upgraded to a ryzen 7 and 16gb total RAM. Im thinking I should have never replaced the 600w power supply and just plugged in the new card. Now I have a mess. I hope the motherboard is not fried. Thanks for all of you help so far! Im beyond ticked off at this point!!

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@BMAC

I'd really like to see the assembly, maybe the PWR_SW pin was knocked loose? That chassis should have a power button on top, it's dead center, but it's black on black. It's hard to see. This is the button you're pressing and the system doesn't respond?

• BMAC
    Options

Yes...that seems to be the issue. Could I just buy one of these and transfer the cpu and everything else over? It's actually cheaper than the psu and GPu I just bought.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@BMAC

Yes, you can replace the chassis and move everything over. In the meantime, find the PWR_SW header in the bottom right, remove the cable. It's two pins, short those two pins with something conductive and the system will power on.

• BMAC
    Options

That's funny...that's what the guy at MC tech support just told me on the phone. I love the idea of switching the cases. Then I can return all the other stuff. One more question. Do my old ryzen 3 and radeon rx 570 gpu have any value in the ebay world...and if so what's a good price to sell them at? Thanks again for everything!

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@BMAC

I'm sure it can still be sold, though I think you might have missed the boat on selling the GPU. Supply seems to be increasing now.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99