Need Help Choosing Parts

Options
ScruffySquonk
edited May 2022 in Help Choosing Parts

I have a build for a PC, and I was wondering how good it looked/if anything needed changed? I have a budget around 3.5 k. I still do not know what monitor I am planning on getting, but I am more worried about the actual computer. I tried to make this pretty beefy because I stream a large variety of games, so yeah if anyone has tips on things to change and what not it would be greatly appreciated. Also it will not let me post links, so let me know if I need to send it individually or if its already attached. 

CPU: (1) AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Vermeer 3.7GHz 12-Core AM4 Boxed Processor - Heatsink Not Included ($369.99 EACH)

Motherboard: (1) ASUS B550-F ROG Strix Gaming (WiFi) AMD AM4 ATX Motherboard ($209.99 EACH)

RAM: (1) G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F4-3200C16D-32G - Black ($116.99 EACH)

Case: (1) MSI MPG GUNGNIR 110R ATX Mid-Tower Computer Case ($99.99 EACH)

Power Supply: (1) Corsair RMx Series RM850x 850 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply ($159.99 EACH)

Video Card: (1) EVGA NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming Triple-Fan 12GB GDDR6X PCIe 4.0 Graphics Card ($1,299.99 EACH)

M.2 / NVMe SSD: (2) Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB M.2 NVMe Interface PCIe 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND 3 bit MLC Technology (MZ-V7S2T0B/AM) ($199.99 EACH)

Optical Drive: Probably some external one

Heatsink: (1) be quiet SHADOW ROCK TF2 Topflow CPU Cooler ($69.99 EACH)

Thermal Compound: (1) Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Grease - 1g ($11.99 EACH)

Operating System: (1) Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit OEM DVD - English ($119.99 EACH)

Keyboard: (1) SteelSeries Apex Pro RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - OmniPoint ($199.99 EACH)

Total: $3,075.87

Comments

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    So, excellent cpu, graphics card, power supply choices for a fine gaming rig.

Why not a 570 chipset mb instead of 550?

Also, why the PCIe 3 drive instead of a 4? The Samsung 980 series is what to get. The 550 chipset board will support a 4.

Those MSI cases are kinda beginner level, have you considered something like a Corsair 4000D Airflow or similar? Is it because of the DVD drive? Will you really use one that often? I keep my external DVD in a box in the basement and barely use it once a year.
  • JeremyS
    JeremyS ✭✭
    First Answer First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    Options

Hi! Good job putting together these parts.

I have a few suggestions as Magarity also pointed out. With a Ryzen 9 I highly suggest getting a board that will take full power and benefit to power that CPU. Any X570 Chipset motherboard should suffice, if you proceed with a B550 there may be a bottleneck performance loss.

Also if you are getting a 3080ti and a Ryzen 9, these components do use a lot of power, I do suggest getting a power supply with a bit of a higher wattage. Its not too necessary but may help you down the road.

The bequiet cooler is also a good choice, but do consider the height restriction on it when picking out your case, it is a tall air cooler that may be blocked by the side panel. They are also a bit difficult to install, you may want to look into a liquid cooler which would also cool the Ryzen 9 sufficiently. Kryonaut is also a great choice for thermal paste, its stuff that we personally use here at microcenter for best performance.

Overall, you have a good set going, I would try building in a different case as well, since MSI is a bit tough to build in. Corsair cases and a few of Lian Li's are great builds, come with fans, and are very sturdy.

Good luck!

• Swifteez
    Options

Just wanted to throw a suggestion out for the keyboard.

If you're hard set on that keyboard, you can get the TKL (ten key-less) version for $180 on SteelSeries' website to save a few $$. This is of course if it's just for gaming, and is entirely personal preference. If you plan on purchasing soon, they also have the full size Apex Pro price matched for $145.99 right now. Not sure how long that price will last.

If you're not set on this keyboard, might I suggest looking at Ducky keyboards. They are fantastic quality and some of the models can go for cheaper than the $200 price point of the Apex Pro. Personally I have the One 2 Mini, a 60% keyboard for about $100-110 depending on the model. You can find them at mechanicalkeyboards.com if you're in the US.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99