Need help choosing parts

Subhankar
Subhankar ✭✭
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
edited May 2022 in Help Choosing Parts

Hi,

I hope you all are doing well!

This is the build I have in mind:

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder-amd.aspx?load=7967c6c0-9a1b-4c73-bc00-dda624a4f301

Could you all please take a look at my build and make some suggestions? I will place the order then.

I am a Computer Science grad student. So, I mostly need this system for programming and also need a CUDA compatible GPU for some Data Science projects.

I am not into gaming at all. So that's not my focus.

Also, could you please let me know about the time duration between placing the order and when I can pick it up from the store?

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Ian
    Ian admin
    5 Insightfuls 5 Likes First Anniversary 5 LOLs

Hello, what programs are you going to be using for this PC? I would verify you meet the requirements typically listed on the manufacturer's websites for any software you might be using, if everything checks out with them I don't see any issues with what you have picked out.

• Subhankar
    Subhankar ✭✭
    edited May 2022

Hi @Ian ,

Thanks for the response.

I will mostly be running Linux Mint (OS), some coding IDEs like PyCharm, VSCode, PyTorch/Tensorflow (need CUDA) mostly.

Do you think there might be any conflicts with the AMD CPU and NVIDIA GPU?

Is there any benefit to having an Intel CPU over a Ryzen one?

Also, could you please suggest a cooling system? Apparently the water cooling requires a lot of maintenance.

• Hey @Subhankar,

I typically go for a Radeon card in my Linux machines due to additional support, however the open-source Nvidia drivers are totally usable as well, from my limited experience. Since you need CUDA, you'll probably land on an Nvidia card. Here's a short article detailing their driver availability; (https://tinyurl.com/2p8tv648).

There aren't any compatibility issues with running an AMD CPU with an Nvidia GPU; it's actually way more popular than you think. Intel CPUs historically can maintain higher overall clock-speeds, with the disadvantage of additional heat, typically more expensive, not quite as efficient. Definitely the way to go if you need raw single-core speed, though. In your use case, I'd probably stick to a Ryzen chip (especially with the deal we have on them, at the moment). You'll get great multi-core performance, and the single-core performance is still very good.

I'm personally not a fan of custom-loop solutions, however AIO (All-in-One) coolers are liquid coolers that are already put together and vacuum-sealed, no maintenance needed! My personal favorite is the Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT/Capellix, it's quiet and offers excellent cooling potential.

• Subhankar
    Subhankar ✭✭
    edited May 2022

Hi @JeromeMicroCenter ,

Thanks a lot for your response.

Yes, I haven't changed the configuration much, but I noticed your suggestion on the cooler after placing the order.

I went to the St. Louis Park center today to check but I guess the system is still being built. Is it possible to update the cooler now with the one you have suggested?

• Hey @Subhankar

I would definitely check with the St. Louis Park service department as soon as possible, but if they've already started the build and have already installed the cooler, it's possible there may be additional fees as the labor has already been completed. If you're not wanting to spend more at the moment, maybe see how your temps are and consider the cooler as a future upgrade! You can always bring the machine back to Micro Center for upgrades later, just double-check on associated costs. If you do swap the cooler, might I also recommend using the Arctic MX-4 or Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste, it's cheap and in some cases can perform a good bit better than the pre-applied paste.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99