First build, could use some recommendations

I'm trying to stay under about $2,000 USD ideally, but that's not necessarily a hard limit. For instance, I'm fine with the $2,071 price in this build. However, I would appreciate some recommendations or advice on a couple things.

My Build:

CPU: Intel Core i7-11700K

MOBO: MSI - Z590 MPG Gaming Carbon WiFi Intel LGA 1200 ATX Motherboard

GPU: PowerColor - AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT Red Devil Overclocked Triple-Fan

RAM: G.Skill - Ripjaws V 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F4-3200C16D-32G - Black

STORAGE: Samsung - 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB M.2 NVMe

CASE: Cooler Master - NR600 MasterBox Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Black

COOLER: Lian Li - Galahad 360mm RGB Water Cooling Kit - Black

PSU: Seasonic USA - FOCUS GX-850, 850W 80+ Gold

Will this 360mm AIO fit in this mid-tower case, and will I have enough clearance for the 6900xt? Would I be better off going for a full tower case?

Is a 360mm AIO enough to cool the CPU if I decide to overclock?

How many more case fans would I probably need?

Will all of the RGB sync with any one universal software? Again, this is my first build and I've never messed with RGB.

Is the 6900xt way too overkill for 1440p? Is 6800xt enough for 4k? I was originally considering a 6800xt but the price difference was so low ($100-150, depending on the model) now that I figured why not. I may also use it for GPU acceleration of some machine learning models down the road. (Therefore this is primarily, but NOT solely a gaming build.)

Also could use some advice for mobos. Just went with a fairly cheap Z590 that seemed to have built-in wifi and enough usb-connectivity. What's the difference in the Z590s and the B650s?

The 1TB M.2 will do for now, but is 32GB of RAM overkill?

Thanks.

Comments

• Lambdaben
    Lambdaben ✭✭✭
    5 Likes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls

Hi @Swifteez

To answer your questions:

Will this 360mm AIO fit in this mid-tower case, and will I have enough clearance for the 6900xt? Would I be better off going for a full tower case?

Yes, it will fit. Going with a full tower or larger mid-tower case will give you more working room in the case for cable management.

Is a 360mm AIO enough to cool the CPU if I decide to overclock?

Yes, you could not go any bigger except for doing a custom loop PC.

How many more case fans would I probably need?

You would have 5 fans in total, 3 from the cooler and 2 from the case. This should provide you with adequate cooling.

Will all of the RGB sync with any one universal software? Again, this is my first build and I've never messed with RGB.

No, the PowerColor graphics card will not sync with your other components with its given software. Changing to an MSI graphics card would alleviate that issue.

Is the 6900xt way too overkill for 1440p? Is 6800xt enough for 4k? I was originally considering a 6800xt but the price difference was so low ($100-150, depending on the model) now that I figured why not. I may also use it for GPU acceleration of some machine learning models down the road. (Therefore this is primarily, but NOT solely a gaming build.)

Personally, I would stick with a NVIDIA graphics card. CUDA gives you more processing power for tensor machine learning vs an AMD card. An RTX 3080 would get you great 4k performance and cost almost as much as a 6900 XT.

Also could use some advice for mobos. Just went with a fairly cheap Z590 that seemed to have built-in wifi and enough usb-c connectivity. What's the difference in the Z590s and the B560s?

The motherboard you choose was perfect based on your needs in the prompt. You'd be paying more for slight differences in features, but overall they would preform the same. The major difference between a Z590 and a B560 motherboard would be the ability to overclock your processor.

The 1TB M.2 will do for now, but is 32GB of RAM overkill?

Not if you plan on using the PC for other features besides gaming, the upgrade in ram could help with multitasking especially with machine learning.

Hope this helps!

• @Lambdaben thanks for the input!

For the RGB, I hadn’t considered the GPU having its own software. Something to think about for sure! As for other things like the AIO and additional fans, I’ve heard of some having their own controllers and/or being compatible with other softwares (MSI’s for example) so. Upon further inspection of the Lian Li website’s listing of the AIO, I now see that it is compatible with “most mainstream motherboard softwares”. Surely MSI is one of those!

As for the size of the AIO, I had a lapse in brain function while typing and had meant to ask if something smaller like a 240mm or 280mm would suffice.

Thanks again!

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99