battery backup starts freaking during game.

Options

I just finished building a new pc. I built my last one almost 5 years ago. The pc parts are i7-12700k, sapphire radeon rx6800xt graphics, nzxt x63 280 cooler, 32 gb gskil 3200 mem, evga GT 1000w power supply.

i went to play Call of Duty WWII and set up to max settings 144fps 1440 The game ran for about a minute and my battery backup started squealing. Usual green light turned to amber. Shut down the game and it stopped. Tried again, same thing. l then let the game set optimized settings which were lower and no problem. I had ultra high settings on battlefield 5 and no issues.

I do have a lower wattage battery backup because I have a whole house generator. So if the power goes out, it only takes 15 seconds for the power to come back so I only need amaller backup and have been doing that for years.

Anyone have any ideas. Other than this game I have had zero problems, the cpu sits around 30 degrees C, the temps on the graphics card and nvme are fine. Thanks for your time.

Best Answers

Answers

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@vinman

What's the VA rating on your UPS?

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@vinman

UPS basically works like this. It's a battery, like all batteries it has a maximum output. Battery charges from the wall, PC runs off the battery, so that there's no interruption in the event of a power loss. VA is Watts/PF. Sounds like your unit is around a 0.55 PF which is fairly low. Your system, I'd estimate at max load could draw 650W, gaming probably 500W. The 350W UPS is not sufficient. That amber LED is most likely an overload warning. You need to find the full load of all the components connected and use that as a basis for purchasing a new UPS.

As a conservative rule VA * 0.6 will tell you what you need. Or WATT * 1.6 to convert to a VA and this should be your minimum. Lets assume a very heavy load, 600 Watts or so. A monitor can draw 20-30W's on a smaller panel. Speaker systems can draw quite a bit of power, based on the volume level. Lets just assume you have a 7.1 channel system and call it 100W. 600+100+30=730. 730*1.6 = 1168. I'd look for a 1200VA UPS as a minimum. I'd suggest getting a Kill A Watt monitor if you want to be able to check the usage more accurately.

• vinman
    Options

thank you very much for your time and help. I will be heading to Microcenter to replace the ups. Probably grab a 1500 VA 900w so I dont have future problem.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer me.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99