Need Help selecting specs for my Gaming PC build

Options
StevenQQQ
StevenQQQ
Name Dropper First Comment
edited June 2022 in Help Choosing Parts

Hello!

I'm trying to build/buy a gaming computer. Can someone take a look at see if this build will likely get me 1440p on CoD Warzone? Let me know if you see something that's obviously not compatible or needed as this is my first time building:

Intel - Core i5-12600K Alder Lake 3.7GHz Ten-Core LGA 1700 Boxed Processor - Heatsink Not Included

ASRock - Z690 Phantom Gaming 4 DDR5 Intel LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard

Crucial - 32GB DDR5-4800 PC5-38400 CL40 Single Channel Desktop Memory Module CT32G48C40U5 - Black

Thermaltake - View 71 RGB eATX Full-Tower Computer Case - Black

PowerSpec - 750 Watt 80 Plus Bronze ATX Semi-Modular Power Supply Active PFC SLI Crossfire Ready Gaming PC Computer Switching PSU

Gigabyte - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Gaming Overclocked Triple Fan 8GB GDDR6 PCIe 4.0 Graphics Card

Inland - Professional 512GB SSD 3D TLC NAND SATA 3.0 6 GBps 2.5 Inch 7mm Internal Solid State Drive

Samsung - 980 SSD 500GB M.2 NVMe Interface PCIe 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND 3 bit MLC Technology (MZ-V8V500B/AM)

Seagate - BarraCuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Thermaltake - Contac 9 SE 120W TDP CPU Cooler

Microsoft - Windows 10 Home 64-bit OEM DVD - English

I have Fiber Internet and am trying to keep my build relatively affordable. I also have 2 kittens that will likely want to jump on this build.

Thank you! Steven

Comments

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    edited June 2022
    Options

There are youtube videos of people testing that game with 3050 cards. You should really watch one or some and make your own decision if the performance is good enough. Looks like it to me, but its up to you.

Is that DDR5 a two stick kit? Pretty sure you really want 2 sticks for the best performance.

• Ian
    Ian admin
    First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes 5 LOLs
    Options

Greetings, What you have picked out will all work together, a 3050 can work fine with that game, it is highly doubtful you'd be able to use high/max settings for 1440p but if you don't mind sacrfiticing some graphics quality, it will work.

• StevenQQQ
    Options

Thank you for your insight! I'd like to ask a difficult question too. Do you think it's worth it to go with a cheaper/worse GPU now and then replace it when prices come down (assuming they do)? I realize that 3050 fits my (already tight) budget but won't get me everything I want.

• StevenQQQ
    Options

I've watched many a YouTube videos now and they almost all say go with a 3060 TI . I'm in a strange place where the PC at the top of my budget and I'm back and forth on either going with a 3050 or a cheaper option and then replacing it when/if GPU prices come down. Any thoughts on this?

I will for sure get 2 sticks :D this is my first PC.

Thank you so much for looking at this build and for you comments!!

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If cost is really that tight have you considered getting a DDR4 ram motherboard instead of DDR5? That switch saves whopping piles of money. Then you could look at a 6600XT which crushes a 3050.

• Ian
    Ian admin
    First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes 5 LOLs
    Options

I agree with this, if the budget is tight, I'd start by reallocating budget for DDR5 RAM and change to DDR4 and put the remainder towards a better video card.

• StevenQQQ
    Options

Thank you for the suggestion! new build:

Intel - Core i7-11700K Rocket Lake 3.6GHz Eight-Core LGA 1200 Boxed Processor - Heatsink Not Included Located In BYOPC

MSI - B560M MAG MORTAR WIFI Intel LGA 1200 microATX Motherboard

Thermaltake - View 71 RGB eATX Full- Tower Computer Case - Black

DDR4-3200 32GB (2 x 16GB) PC4-25600 CL22

EVGA - SuperNOVA 850 GA 850 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply

ASUS - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Phoenix V2 Single-Fan 12GB GDDR6 PCIe 4.0 Graphics Card

Crucial - P5 Plus 1TB SSD 3D NAND M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 x4 Interface Internal Solid State Drive

WD - Blue Mainstream 1TB 7200RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive 

Thermaltake - UX200 SE CPU Cooler Located In Aisle 31 

Microsoft - Windows 10 Home 64-bit 

I found a new motherboard that does DDR4, put on 2 DDR4 memory (two 16 gb) and found a more affordable 3060. they are out of 3060 TI :( Overall I'm saving money and feeling good about this. From what I've found, DDR5 doesn't upgrade anything for CoD relative to the price. Thank you Ian! Any other thoughts are welcome.

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Um, I meant stay with 12th gen and socket 1700. Those do come in DDR4 variants.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99