PC Won’t Turn On After Overcloking

Options
Shiven
Shiven
Name Dropper First Comment
edited July 2023 in General Discussion

So I recently built a PC with a 3070 Ti, i9-12900k, and MSI Pro Z690-A mobo. Yesterday, I tried overlocking it, and I think I messed something up. Because of that, my PC won’t turn on. I’ve tried resetting the CMOS multiple times. I don’t know what to do. I’m worried I killed my baby. Please, does anyone have any ideas of what to do ?

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@Shiven

Do you mean it won't power on, or powers on and won't POST? When you were overclocking it, did you manually set any voltages? If so, which ones and what did you set them to?

• Shiven
    Options

It just won’t power on at all, forget posting. I put the voltages on auto.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Shiven

Really it's pretty hard to kill a modern board with overclocking. I doubt that's really what happened, especially with auto voltages. I'd discharge it. Turn off the PSU for a few minutes. Reseat the CPU 8 and motherboard 24 pin ATX connectors. When you power it on listen carefully. After maybe a second do you hear a click or anything from the system?

• Shiven
    Options

Okay, lemme try that.

• Shiven
    Shiven
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2022
    Options

Yes, I think I heard a click.

@TSMikeW

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Shiven

Indicates some over current protection tripping on the PSU. Now you need to find out what the cause is. I'd swap another PSU in and test that first. If that fails, it's likely the VRM on the motherboard.

Previously I said it's hard to kill modern boards with overclocking. It is, but it's not impossible. Pushing the frequency too far with the auto voltage would put a lot of strain on the VRM. Auto voltages tend to be pretty high. Do you recall what you set exactly?

Typically with overclocking on Intel we're used to pushing the core as far as we can, then, dialing the voltage back. With the 12th Gen, you don't really want to touch the core frequency at all. Let TVB handle that. What you really want to do is undervolt and give TVB more overhead. It'll do the rest for you, and it'll do it much more efficiently with the dynamic clock control.

• Shiven
    Options

I don’t have another PSU to test, but there are some IBUYPOWER videos on YT on how to test a psu. I will try those and let you know. I set the frequent from 3.6 to 5.2.

• Shiven
    Options

@TSMikeW

my PSU is working fine. So is the mobo the problem ?

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Shiven

Did you change the multiplier only? Did you touch the LLC settings or anything else?

Sounds like you shorted on the PSU. Hard to tell, it may not trip without a load on the rails. Did the system shut off while you were using it? Or did it just not power on after you powered it off?

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99