Can't connect monitor throug display port, get incorrecct display port version setting error message

Options
DavidCoughlin48
edited August 2022 in General Discussion

Hi, I bought a PowerSpec computer a few months ago, 12700KF/3070 Ti. I just bought a new 2560X1440 27 inch LG monitor for it. I had it hooked up to my HDMI port and everything was fine. Then someone told me I will get a better picture by going through the Display Port. But when I do that I get a no signal and incorrect display port version setting. I have tried all three of the display port settings on the monitor, 1.1, 1.2, and 1.4 and still a blank screen with no signal. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks Dave....

Answers

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options

@DavidCoughlin48

3070 Ti is DP 1.4a, you would want the setting up to 1.4 for resolution and refresh rate options. Few things to try. First if you have another cable, swap that out first. Second, try to reset the monitor and give the card another chance to read the EDID data. Discharge it. Unplug the monitor from the wall, press the power button a few times, wait a few minutes then reconnect the monitor and see if it display properly.

What model is the monitor?

• Hi, thanks for the reply. I did set the Display Port setting to 1.4. I did unplug the the DP cable to the monitor, and shut off the power to everything through the surge supressor for several minutes, and then turn everything back on. No luck, but no problem with going through HDMI. I only had the one DP cable that came with the monitor, I will have to order another cable. I bought the LG 27GL83A-B 27 Inch Ultragear QHD IPS 1ms NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatible Gaming Monitor, Black. Would this be the DP cable that I want to buy? Amazon Basics 8K DisplayPort to DisplayPort 1.4 Cable with 4K@120Hz, 8K@60Hz Video Resolution, and HDR Support, 10 Feet? Thanks for the help....

• DavidCoughlin48
    edited August 2022
    Options

And this is the replacement cable that I am going to order if it is a good choice? Thank you so much for your help....Dave

• This is the computer that I bought from MicroCenter a few months ago....

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options

@DavidCoughlin48

That cable should work fine. I think it's worth testing the DisplayPort cable. I would mention that just looking up the issue you're encountering online, I see several instances and from what I can tell they're all occurring on LG brand monitors. Do you have any other monitors with DP to test?

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99