Only the HDMI port works, not the DisplayPorts - What's wrong? (EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 Super)

Options

My CyberPowerPC is close to 3 years old now. It's the original configuration with an X570 Phantom Gaming 4-CB motherboard, a Ryzen 9 CPU, and the EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Super GPU. I had two monitors connected in the first year; one hdmi and one Displayport, working fine. I've only used one monitor since then, using only the HDMI. Now no other video out ports work. I took the GPU out and re-seated it on the motherboard, checked the cables, etc.

The fans on the graphics card only run when the system starts up, but not anytime during use.

I haven't thoroughly explored BIOS settings (and am not very knowledgeable about what changes to make there). Can that be the problem?

I'm very grateful for any help that anyone can offer. I'd hate to have to buy a new graphics card right now, but is that the likely solution? I hope there are some diagnostics that I can run and some fixes to try.

Thanks very much!

Answers

• Lambdaben
    Options

Have you tried checking your Nvidia Control panel?

It has an option that shows active video outputs when monitors are connected as well as if you accidently sey up NVIDIA Surround, if the monitor is not in the surround array it won't output anything.

Another option would be trying to replace the cable and see if that is the issue.

Let me know if this helps.

• UpgradeGirl
    Options

Hi Lambaben,

Thanks for helping me out with this! I didn't realize there was an Nvidia control panel until you mentioned it. I had only been looking at an Nvidia GeForce Experience window/app. I am exploring the control panel now - it's not currently in surround. Should I have the surround on?

I'm looking at the "Set Up Multiple Displays" area and will try the monitor and the graphics tablet at the same time. My goal is to use Photoshop or other apps on the graphics tablet screen, and other things on my monitors - I'd like to use two monitors in addition to the graphics tablet. I've been assuming that my graphics card can output to multiple monitors. Is that a safe assumption?

Thank you!

• Lambdaben
    Options

No, you should not enable Surround, when you set up multiple displays, surround is used for setting up your monitors into 1 big display not individual monitors. By setting up the multi-displays in the Nvidia Control Panel, you will be able to see if the second monitor and graphic tablet are actively sending a signal to your graphics card.

Generally speaking, A Reference 2080 Super can support up to 4 monitors at a maximum digital resolution of 7680 x 4320, meaning that you can run up to 2 x 4K monitors on one system without issues. So depending on what resolution monitors you have, if you try to go above that maximum resolution, you will generally run into issues. so as long as your combined resolution is below the maximum limit you should be fine. So your assumption is correct.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99