Need Help Choosing Parts/ advice for first time disabled builder

Options

Hello Micro Center community!

I've always wanted to build my very own PC for years, and I recently decided now was the time to do it (I'm currently on vacation this week, and plan to buy the components in-store on thursday, and assemble over labor day weekend).

My budget is around 1,500 USD (Lower the better)

Anyway, for my first build, I decided I wanted to make a multimedia/backup machine of sorts (That I'll probably use for some light development work as well). That is to say, I want to use my PC to digitize my blu-ray/DVD collection, and in addition, I was hoping to Partition drive(s) in it to network and use for my other household computers (old Macbook Pro, old Mac Pro, and my parent's PC) backups.

Anyway, using the parts picker, I've selected the following: 

CPU: (1) Intel Core i5-12400 Alder Lake 2.5GHz Six-Core LGA 1700 Boxed Processor - Intel Stock Cooler Included ($179.99 EACH)

Motherboard: (1) ASUS Z690-P Prime WiFi DDR4 Intel LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard ($239.99 EACH)

RAM: (1) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit CMW32GX4M2E3200C16 - Black ($109.99 EACH)

Case: (1) Lian Li Lancool II MESH Type C RGB Tempered Glass ATX Mid-Tower Computer Case - Snow White ($129.99 EACH)

Power Supply: (1) EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GT 850 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply ($129.99 EACH)

2.5" SSD: (1) Crucial MX500 500GB SSD 3D TLC NAND SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive ($52.99 EACH)

M.2 / NVMe SSD: (1) Intel 670p Series 512GB SSD 3D QLC NAND Flash M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive ($49.99 EACH)

Hard Drive: (1) WD Blue Mainstream 4TB 5400RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 EACH)

Optical Drive: (1) LG WH16NS40 16x Internal Blu-Ray Rewriter ($64.99 EACH)

Thermal Compound: (1) Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Grease - 1g ($11.99 EACH)

Total: $1,054.90

If it makes any difference, I plan on using my existing USB Glorious GMMK keyboard, USB mouse, and old Apple Cinema HD monitor (It's a DVI monitor, I believe, but have been using with an HDMI adapter with my work laptop)

I guess what I'm really asking is: Is the above parts list sufficient for my needs (If anything, I feel like the above may be overkill, if anything)? Additionally, all of these components are compatible, right? Am I forgetting anything parts-wise? It's probably also worth mentioning that in addition to this being my first build (Years ago, I've completely disassembled + reassembled a PC or two, so some experience to go off of, aside from online guides), I also had a stroke years ago, which has left my left arm paralyzed, so any advice in terms of assembly/ part choices in terms of physically building, would be greatly appreciated (I intend to have my brother/ other family on stand-by to help, as needed but they have no PC build experience either).

Thank you for any/all help!!

Comments

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    I think it would be more efficient to combine the sata and m.2 drives and just get a single 1tb m.2 type of PCIe 4.

I assume you intend to use the stock cooler? It will come with a layer of pre applied thermal paste so there is no need to buy that tube.

Have you considered getting a 4TB external USB backup drive? This can used for several computers and would not need to be plugged in and running all the time.

I didn't think to that case has a place for an internal dvd drive. You should check on that before buying.
  • Thank you for your responses/suggestions! I do intend to use the stock cooler as I don't plan on overclocking or anything, so will forget about the extra thermal paste. I was worried it wouldn't be included is all. It hadn't even occurred to me to check the case for an internal blu-ray drive, so will check that now. Thanks! As for an external USB backup drive, I've had a bunch of those over the years for my Macs but they frequently ended up dying/getting disconnected, hence my idea for an internal solution. I'll also consider looking into options for combining the sara and m.2 drives.

• Shoan041
    Shoan041 ✭✭✭✭
    5 Awesomes 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls First Anniversary
    Options

Your case does not include an internal 5.25in bay for internal CD/DVD/Blu Ray drives. An external would fix that problem pretty easily. This is the x16 external that I use. I like it, because it's faster than some of the lower end ones.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/479591/asus-16x-usb-30-external-blu-ray-drive

• Thank you as well, Shoan041! That's a bummer, but an excellent solution, as I doubt I'll need the drive daily, so an external solution vs. a different case makes sense to me!

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99