Is this a good desktop to mod?

Options

I needed a work desktop for photo and basic video work. 

I want:

1TB SDD boot drive

1 or 2  8TB HDD's

64GB RAM memory. 

Is this a good computer to get for these mods?

PowerSpecB748

I was also looking at this one. Would it work?

PowerSpec B734

I'm not a computer builder, I'm just an end user. Is it hard adding an HDD or two and extra memory? I tried to buy a custom computer for months now, but got nowhere close to my $1600 budget. And the majority of custom computer companies don't even answer the emails.

If you have better desktop options for my build to recommend, then please do.

(Forum would not let me post links to these computers.)

Thanks!

Comments

• Ian
    Options

Greetings,

The B734 can only accept 1 additional 2.5" drive with the case it uses so that is probably not your best choice.

For the B748 you can add in a few extra drives, here is a guide on how to do that with the case that model of computer is in: https://www.microcenter.com/tech_center/article/11394/how-to-locate-the-additional-drive-bays-in-a-lian-li-atx-205-case

For 64GB of RAM on the B748, you would be replacing the existing RAM with 4 16GB sticks or 2 32GB sticks as the existing RAM is 2 8GB sticks on that model.

• Shoan041
    Shoan041 ✭✭✭✭
    5 Awesomes 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls First Anniversary
    Options

Hey,

You might be better off building a custom computer in the long run. Our service team can build the system for you and our BYO Associates can assist you with a build that would get you on the right track. $1600 is a little bit light for what you would like to do, but there are certain parts you can upgrade later on that will help you get what you need in a short amount of time. If you need the computer now, you can always apply for our Micro Center credit card and use our financing option so you can get what you need now and pay it off over the next 6 months with 0% APR. That way, you can get what would be best for you in the long run and not just something to get you by for now that can cause problems later on.

• TreBouncee
    Options

The B748 isnt a bad option considering the case size though you wouldn't get a graphics card for your video work. I would also recommend considering the Powerspec G711. It has 2 available 3.5 drives and there's ample cooling.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99