Ethernet Connection Not Functioning

Options

Hello. Due to recent internet issues, I have resorted to using ethernet (CAT6 Ethernet Cable by Ultra Clarity Cables); however, after plugging in the product to both my Verizon modem and my computer there has been no pick up of the Ethernet cable. Moreover, there is a red X when viewing "Ethernet 2" in Control Panel, alongside "Ethernet 2" not being connected in Windows 11 Settings. Additionally, when looking into "Ethernet 2" the cable belonging to it is an Intel Cable which is disconnected, not the Ultra Clarity manufactured cable. If anybody has advice regarding this issue, please inform me.

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options

@Krxlcifer

Intel is the ethernet controller manufacturer. It's not going to detect anything specific about the cable manufacturer. It's just not detecting the ethernet cable. Check the LED's on the ethernet port on the PC and modem. See if they LED's are lit to indicate it detects the cable. I'd test another cable. Always worth power cycling the modem to see if it's detected after doing so.

• @TSMikeW

I understand, thank you. However, when plugging in my ethernet cable to my Verizon modem there is no responsive green light at the back. Hypothetically the cable is not faulty - how can I make my modem send connection through my cable? Is unplugging and plugging the modem back in a good idea? (Sorry if I sound clueless) Thank you.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options

@Krxlcifer

Yes, you can power the modem off for 30 seconds then turn it back on. We refer to this as power cycling.

After that, check the light again. If the modem still doesn't detect the PC we have to rule out all components in the chain. Check the cable. You can check the PC or Modem with another PC. We're checking to see if a specific component is faulty. It may very well be the NIC in your desktop, in which case once confirmed can easily be replaced with a PCIe NIC.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99