Need help finding new parts

Options
SouperSalads
edited September 2022 in Help Choosing Parts

I currently have a Lenovo pre built with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB and Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 4 Core, 4 Logical Processor(s) I have recently upgraded from 16GB of RAM to 32GB and have a few 1TB SSD's that I have purchased and installed myself. I am looking for a solid overall upgrade without spending an exorbitant amount of money. what would be the best course of action for me? Build a whole new PC? or buy a couple new upgrades for my current existing? (Update) by "Exorbitant" I mean upwards of $5,000 I am fine with spending around $2,000.

Comments

• Ian
    Options

Greetings, what's your intended use for the PC?

• Shoan041
    Shoan041 ✭✭✭✭
    5 Awesomes 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls First Anniversary
    Options

Hey,

I would recommend building a new PC at this point. A lot of prebuilt computers have proprietary parts like Motherboards, Cases and power supplies. If you were to change any of these parts, the you would have to change them all. Any processor upgrade would require a new motherboard and ram if you are using DDR3 ram. If you are using DDR4 ram that is slower than 3200Mhz, you'll most likely want to change that out also, to get the most out of your new CPU. If you would like to upgrade your GPU, then you'll have to most likely upgrade your power supply for any Graphics Card that would supply enough wattage with your GPU. A lot of these older pre built cases and even the newer ones don't have the best layout for cooling. In a lot of cases, you would want to go ahead and get a new one anyway.

Now is an excellent time to build a new PC. All the prices have come down significantly. If you would like, your local store can build it for you quickly and efficiently as well! I recommend talking to your local BYO representatives in store when you are ready to start your build so we can help you with the specifics of which parts are currently a good deal, in stock and will fit your needs.

• SouperSalads
    edited September 2022
    Options
    My intended use is definitely gaming. I have a PC that was used as a server for a company that upgraded and were throwing out the old ones. The shell is badass and huge. Would it be possible to drop it off at my local microcenter and have them use it as a base for building my PC? I would love it if they could. This PC is not the same one I use for gaming. I keep this one off to the side so I can fix it up, hopefully, some day. Also, to answer one of your statements, I just bought 32gb of 3200mhz RAM.
  • magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    Options

I assume that 64GB of memory DDR4 and is the 3000Mhz? You can reuse that in a new system. As Shoan pointed out, 3000 is a little slower than recommended 3200 but hey, 64GB is a lot, so only 3000 is probably OK. You can also reuse the 1TB SSD.

The 1060 3GB is getting a bit old depending on your uses, and since you want a "solid upgrade" then a new graphics card is definitely on the list, so it sounds like you need new: Motherboard, CPU, graphics card, case.

• Shoan041
    Shoan041 ✭✭✭✭
    5 Awesomes 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls First Anniversary
    Options

Take your case in and your local Micro Center will tell you if it can be used and what it will work with. It's really the only way to know for sure.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99