Process for building a PC using mix of Microcenter parts and limited outside parts[Case/HardDrives]?

thomasl
thomasl
First Comment
edited September 2022 in Store Information and Policy

Hello,

I am planning to upgrade my current pc(~5-6 years old) with a new gpu[Nvidia 4080(once it comes out)] and cpu. My current plan is to visit a microcenter store to select the parts(gpu,cpu,cooling,powersupply) pretty much everything except the case and hard drive (maybe ram as well, but I will see).

My question is if I want to use my current pc case(Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Chassis with Window Cases PH-ES614P_BK) and hard drives/RAM what would be the process? Would I first come in person(would rather working with someone at the store to select parts[risk adverse and would like to get other peoples opinion during the process] and then come at a later date once the parts arrive [with my current pc] to have it upgraded? Or would everything be done on the same day and I should bring in my current pc while selecting parts?

Note: its would not be an empty case, but a fully built pc that would need the old parts uninstalled(Would I need to uninstall everything myself or would it be done during the pc build?).

Best Answers

• Ian
    Ian admin
    5 Insightfuls 5 Likes First Anniversary 5 LOLs
    Answer ✓

Greetings,

If you're planning on carrying over parts to your new build, yes those can be left in the case for assembly. For the build service, if you have the store install and setup Windows, they will ensure the computer boots up and passes necessary tests that way but I do not believe we run any sort of stress test.

• Vaganza
    Vaganza ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls 5 LOLs
    Answer ✓

The build tech will move over what parts you want from the old PC, so you can bring it in as whole, there likely will be a $50 additional rebuild charge as the parts will need to be confirmed working, plus that covers the extra time to do that. There also may not be a guarantee that it will be completed within the same time frame as an all new one, but the build tech will make their best effort.

Answers

• Greetings.

You can bring in your own case to build in, that would not be an issue.

For us to build in that, we would need the parts to be out of the case. We do not typically offer a disassembly service like this.

I would say the best way to process this is to bring the case in when you wish to build, purchase the parts in-store, then it will be dropped off at our service desk to be built. Build services start at $149.99. More information may be found at https://www.microcenter.com/site/service/instore-service-complete-build.aspx 

• thomasl
    thomasl
    First Comment
    edited September 2022

What about items I plan to keep in the new build like hard drives, would I need to remove them as well and bring them in separately or can I keep them in the case, removing everything I plan to have upgraded (motherboard, powersupply, etc). I guess the question is would I need to bring in an empty case or just anything that would need to be disassembled? For example If I plan to upgrade the motherboard I would need to remove the motherboard(including cpu and gpu) and bring in the case (with powersupply and harddrives left installed[maybe cpu and gpu separately]) or would I need to remove all parts in the case (including items not affected) to have it be reassembled?

Sorry if the question seems really specific and nuanced, just trying to figure out how much effort it would be from my end. Also, would the build service include a stress test of the pc to make sure there is no issues due to long runs/excessive cpu or gpu usage? Or is it more of a general test to make sure the pc is running and nothing is failing at start up?

• Thank you Vaganza for the answer, I'll probably call ahead of time to make sure (before I bring the old pc/ take it apart) to make sure.

• Vaganza
    Vaganza ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls 5 LOLs

Check with the store you are taking it to, I typically prefer the customer leave their old stuff in the case and I'll remove it as it reduces risk of component damage; it doesn't bother me at all, it is still often quicker than unboxing new sometimes. But a build a sales person and build tech will work with you for sure.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99