Parts Help

Options

I want to upgrade my pc, I had someone build it for me a few years ago and when playing games I only get 1 FPS sometimes. I also have no idea how to change my parts.

Here are the parts I currently have, and I want the most cost-effective and am trying not to spend large amounts:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor        3.20 GHz

8 GBs Ram

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

Comments

• Ian
    Options

Greetings. What is the intended use of the PC and your overall budget?

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    Options

Also, which game exactly are you wanting to get better performance? Some games need better CPU, some need better graphics card, some need more RAM.

It would help to know what motherboard you have, since you may or may not be able to upgrade to a 5000 series CPU depending on the exact mb model.

• tydx6
    Options

Thanks for the responses!

I use my computer for college classes which are not very intensive and then I also play First Person Shooters such as APEX. (And other random games but mostly APEX at the moment.) I don't have an overall budget idea per se, I just want to do small upgrades over time. I don't know how much I should even budget as I didn't build my pc.

This is the info I found on my motherboard.

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    edited September 2022
    Options

That motherboard supports the latest 5000 series CPUs so you could get a Ryzen 5 5600. MC has those on special for 149.99 currently. Before buying one, you should get on Asus's website and download the latest BIOS and install it. That is required for a 5000 series CPU. Getting a 5600 is probably your best upgrade (there is also a 5600X but you don't need the X, just the plain will be great)

Apex's "recommended" graphics is a 970, which you already have. While that's getting kinda old now, it was really good when new so it's hard to get a replacement on a tight budget. You'll need to spend between $350-$400 to get either a 6600XT or 3060 to make a noticeable difference worth the bother.

I assume you have an SSD instead of a spinning hard drive? If hard drive, you would benefit a lot from an SSD instead.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99