Need Help with RAM Upgrade (Purchasing, Compatibility, Additional Questions)

Options

Hello I am trying to upgrade my ram. I am very computer-illiterate, so bear with me.

Here is my processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10400 CPU @ 2.90GHz, 2904 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

First off, how do know how many spots I have to upgrade my RAM?

Secondly, how do I know specifically what to purchase that would be compatible? Do I simply try to find an "Intel" website and go from there..? Could someone help me out and give me a specified step-by-step process for me? I'd REALLY appreciate it!!! <3

Thirdly, I want to be able to simply use these upgrades for gaming. I want better fps, refresh rate, and to be able to allocate more ram. CPU increase would be great, too. Aside for the RAM upgrades, is there anything else I can do besides getting a new PC to accomplish these things? [You don't have to answer this part, it's more of just an additional question] Thanks so much!!

Here are any other specifications that might be relevant:

System Model HP ENVY TE01-1xxx

Version 10.0.22000 Build 22000

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB

Total Physical Memory 11.8 GB

Available Physical Memory 495 MB

Total Virtual Memory 21.9 GB

Available Virtual Memory 3.16 GB

Page File Space 10.0 GB

BaseBoard Manufacturer HP

BaseBoard Product 8767

BaseBoard Version A (SMVB)

Best Answer

Answers

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    edited September 2022
    Options

The easiest thing to do is go to Crucial.com and use their system scanner. It is quite safe and they are a reputable company. The system scanner will tell you how many spaces your system has both already filled and how many are still empty. It will also tell you exactly what you have already so that you know what kind to get. You can either order more from them directly or take the info in to your local Micro Center and the BYOPC staff can help pick out some (they carry Crucial as well as other brands). For best results when populating empty slots, match the brand and speed of what you already have, so option 2, go in to MC, is more likely.

Your current CPU is already quite decent. To get a noticeable performance improvement in games, you probably need a better graphics card, or if you are using integrated graphics of the CPU, a graphics card is what you need in the first place.

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    Options

thanks for hitting the 'accepted answer' button, a lot of people don't bother

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Did you have any questions about those recommendations?

• Cascade
    Options

Thanks a BUNCH! I've been busy lately so sorry for the late response. Basically, I just want to confirm something. If I wanted to upgrade my 2 allotted RAM slots from a 4 and a 8 to a 12 and another 12 GB, would I simply go to a micro center or use the crucial.com recommended purchases to make the best choice that at the very least won't make gaming worse for my pc? With the graphics cards that you provided links to, are you positive that either of those would work/be a good purchase (in your opinion)? How much money approximately would it cost to get a consultation/help from a micro center? Finally, I'm worried about 3 impacts that upgrading bits of my pc will have. Firstly, how much do I have to worry about overheating, and should I get the beefy ram sticks with the fans or whatever to be safe (taking into account that I do have a budget)? Secondly, do I need to worry about any substantial increase in power consumption? Lastly, will these upgrades increase the impact of my family's wifi performance on other devices (I ask only because it seems like the wifi for others gets weaker when I'm gaming - more buffering and some disconnecting issues, all minor though)?

Also, how capped can I get by bad wifi for gaming? -_- that part isn't necessary to answer :)

YOU'RE A BIG HELP!! I appreciate it SO MUCH!

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options

If you live near enough to a MicroCenter to go in person, just go to the BYOPC (build your own PC) section and you can get advice for free.

I suggest you go there and get help picking out a memory upgrade. Any brand will do, and as long as the timings match the 8GB module you already have for best results. You would just remove the 4GB module. Take the 8GB module with you to the store so they can read the fine print for the timings. There is no need to worry about fans or power usage with some extra memory, I have 16x4 for 64GB and no fan or anything.

You can discuss a video card with someone there. Again, the hard part is that the HP's power supply limits your options.

Here is a youtube review of someone using a 6400 graphics card with the same CPU you have, i5 10400: RX 6400 : VALORANT - 1080p Low Settings ft i5-10400F - YouTube so you can see what you think.

Wifi is a whole other problem and probably more impacted by how many neighbors also have wifi all going at the same time.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99