Need help: Computer completely shut down during game, won't start back up

Options
NateDZD
NateDZD ✭✭
First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper Photogenic
edited September 2022 in General Discussion

I was in the middle of a game when my monitors went black. Audio was still going for a few seconds, then everything went silent. My case fans stopped, but the fans' RGB was still on. I shut everything down and turned off the power supply for a few seconds, but when I attempted to turn the system back on, the only thing that starts up is the case fan RGB. None of the fans start spinning, and my motherboard's debug LED indicator is lighting up for VGA, which leads me to think my GPU is to blame. The GPU backplate is hot to the touch, but it doesn't feel too out of the ordinary.

Here are my system specs:

• Ryzen 5 5600X
  • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
  • Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8G
  • 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO (4x8GB)
  • Inland Platinum 1TB SSD NVMe PCIe Gen 3.0x4 M.2 2280 3D NAND (boot drive)
  • More specs here.

The game I was playing when my system crashed was Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade through Steam. The other windows I had open at the time were Discord and my Steam friends list.

Until now, everything in this system had been working fine. I recently upgraded my GPU (25 days ago), CPU (21 days ago), and non-bootable storage (14 days ago). Along with the CPU upgrade 3 weeks ago, I flashed the newest update to my motherboard's BIOS.

I had been playing FFVII Remake Intergrade off and on for a total of about 6 hours in 5 days a couple weeks ago before going on vacation for 8 days, during which time my PC was disconnected from power. I powered my PC back on when I came home from vacation yesterday and started playing the game again today. I had been playing for about an hour at the time the system crashed.

Can anyone help me figure out what to do?

Best Answer

• NateDZD
    NateDZD ✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper Photogenic
    Answer ✓
    Options

Resolved. I swung by my local Micro Center and determined that my PSU was pretty much shot. I guess a 10-year-old 650W power supply was just barely providing enough power for my rig.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99