How do I add a SATA HDD to the boot sequence of a G439 computer.

Options
TheViking
TheViking
Name Dropper First Comment
edited July 2023 in PowerSpec

I just installed a bootable SATA HDD in my new G429. The drive is working and detected by the BIOS, but I have been able to find a way to add it to the boot sequence. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Best Answers

Answers

• TheViking
    Options

Thanks to both for your answers. Yes, this is a legacy boot from an older, Windows 7 Pro system. It includes some software that won't run at all in Windows 10 so I was hoping to be able to boot from it for those rare occasions when I need to run the old software. Changing the BIOS to CSM mode made it possible to attempt booting from this drive. It even attempts to start Windows 7, but the startup fails part way through. I suspect there is something in the new hardware that is incompatible with the old Windows 7 software that is causing the problem. Letting Windows attempt to fix driver errors has no effect. It was worth a try but not the end of the world. Thanks again.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options

@TheViking

There hasn't been official support for Windows 7 since I think the Z170 on the Intel side. There's a few projects in Win-Raid and you can get it working, but it's a hassle. Generally no I/O except for PS/2 until you can install a driver manually. You can try to go that route, see if it'll boot into safe mode.

Another suggestion if you're looking to play with it. Virtualbox with raw disk access. Basically a virtual machine, mounting the old disk. Information here: https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09.html#rawdisk

• TheViking
    Options

Thanks @TSMikeW. I'm aware that there has been no Windows 7 support for a long time. When I first upgraded my previous computer to Windows 10, I first cloned the Win7 disk to the HDD that is now installed in the G439 because it included some special purpose video creation software that wouldn't run in Windows 10. So, on those occasions when I needed to run that software, I would reboot, create the video file I needed, and then include it in the editing software I use in Win10. I can still create the same content in my Win10 software - it's just more difficult and time consuming. Being able to boot into Win7 would have been a convenience, but not a necessity so for now I do not plan to pursue it further.

By the way, I did try booting in safe made but it would fail before getting there.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99