Trying to use Inland 240 SSD as a passport external disc or flash backup disc

Options

Hi, I am trying to use Inland 240 SSD as a passport external disc or flash backup disc but my Windows 10 laptop (HP Envydv6) but it does not see the SSD,

I tried connecting the SSD by 2 methods; 1. using an external disc eclosure 2. using "SABRENT 2.5" SATA Hard Drive/SSD To USB 3.0 Adapter"

Both attempts failed, unfortunately, would appreciate your advice on configuring this SSD on my laptop.

Thank you.

Answers

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@IK2022

Is this a brand new drive? If so, you'll need to open "Disk Management" to initialize and format the drive.

• IK2022
    Options

Thanks, yes it is a brand new drive, can you elaborate with more details/screen shots on how to do that? thanks again

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@IK2022

I couldn't locate a guide, but I can list a few steps.

• Right click the "Start" icon and select "Disk Management.
    • A pop up should appear in the middle of the screen and prompt you to initialize it.
    • The drive will appear in the UI, but the storage allocation will be "Unallocated". Right click on the "Unallocated" block and select "New Simple Volume"
    • Follow along with the setup wizard. All you'll really need to change is the "Volume Label". It can be whatever you want to see the drive called.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99