A computer for a friend need a second look.

Options
NOMADRV
NOMADRV
edited July 2023 in Help Choosing Parts

Want to build a computer for a friend. My gaming PC is way over kill in Size, Power, and Complexity for what she needs. What I want to build for her is a solid, quick and dependable computer to do home buisness, telecommuting and power user of Microsoft office. Possible future need for Video/Picture capture and edit, Youtube creator... but that most likely will be supported by an add on specially hardware/upgrades. I want it to be a good computer over the next couple years with some head room for growth after that.

I have selected the following as a starting point:

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master AM4 ATX

AMD Ryzen7 5700 APU

65GB G. Skill Trident Z 3200 CL16 Ram

EVGA 650 Gold ATX power supply

1TB Samsung M.2 NVMe (extra hard drives both SSD and 7200rpm coming from existing sytem.

NZXT H7 Case

MicroCenter Cost around $1200

Question is:

Can I do better for cheaper?

Will the APU be quick enough?

Will this hardware handle Win11?

Very Interested in your inputs, suggestions :)

Comments

• Aodhan_Gorman
    Options

The Aorus Master is very overkill for a system not running huge amounts of overclocking, additional PCIe cards, and high-power delivery requirements. If you were purchasing it for the reliability factor, I would say a higher mid-range board like the Aorus Pro should still cover those needs but there is not a massive price difference at the moment.

Also, just checking in case they were typos, but you mean the Ryzen 7 5700G and 64GB of ram, correct?

AMD's 5000 series also pairs better with RAM running at 3600mhz and 16cl so that may be a worthwhile upgrade.

While AMD's platform is more cost effective and power efficient at the moment, we are at the end of the platform these processors are built on meaning that upgrades and long-term capabilities and updates will not be as applicable as the newer Intel 12th gen (and subsequent 13th gen) or Ryzen's 7000 series. Based on pricing at the moment I would typically suggest the Intel hardware for those looking for long term but not bleeding edge.

Intel's 12th gen touts better single threaded performance which in day-to-day tasks may actually be a more noticeable performance upgrade than 64GB of RAM depending on how heavy an Excel spreadsheet user your friend is, so it may be worth saving some money for the processor now by only getting 32Gb, then moving to 64Gb later.

Everything you have on your list will run Windows 11 without any compatibility issues.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99