Windows bluescreen when overclocking ram to 5600Hz with Ryzen 7700x

makia
makia
First Comment

Hi!

This is my first time building a PC and I keep getting a bluescreen with the error: memory_management when I turn on D.O.C.P and overclock my ram to 5600 MHz.

cpu: ryzen 7700x

motherboard: Asus rog strix x670e-a gaming wifi

ram: g.skill trident z5 2x16gb ddr5 36-36-36-89 F5-5600J3636C16GX2-TZ5S

I've made sure that they are in the correct slots on the motherboard (A2 and B2) and I've tried setting/resetting them and updating the bios. The ram works fine at the auto setting in the bios (4800 MHz) and windows is stable.

Best Answer

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Answer ✓

@makia

Correct, it's going to be dialed in. Alternatively you could exchange the kit for an AMD EXPO kit and you're probably going to have better luck just loading the XMP. Those kits have been tested on the AM5 platform, and you can verify the QVL, but possibly your board.

So lets do this. First set auto, save and exit. Then load DOCP II. DOCP II is the BIOS default, I is the ASUS custom ones, they're generally tighter. When you save, screenshot all of the settings that they're changing and post them here. Before you actually save, lets walk the speed down. Lets try 5200, but don't touch the timings. We'll see if that's stable first.

Answers

• PowerSpec_MikeW

@makia

Is this happening from the start or did it start after a while?

• Hi Mike,

It usually happens during the Lock Screen after a few seconds. I have just built this computer and it’s been happening since the start of when I tried overclocking.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW

@makia

Understood, it's just unstable then. First, make sure you're on the latest BIOS. I know on some of the newer AM5 BIOS' from ASUS they're offering DOCP or EXPO I and II. Test both and see if either is stable. As a way to test stability I'd try Prime95. Run it with large FFT's, you should get some rounding errors pretty quick if the RAM is unstable. Don't do small FFT's. It'll only stress the CPU's cache and not the RAM.

If you're still unstable, we're going to need to try to tweak the RAM settings manually.

• I've updated the bios through asus' website and tried DOCP I and DOCP II. I think they set the overlock settings to the same settings. After a few seconds at the lock screen, I will blue screen and it will show memory_management or "writing a read only" error message.

DOCP I and DOCP II both set the RAM to 5600 MHZ 36-36-36-89 with trC=125. I believe this is the default XMP setting.

I've reset back to auto setting in the bios (cpu-z shows DRAM frequency 2395.1 MHz, CL:40, trCD 40, tRP 40, tRAS 77, tRC 117 and 1.1V voltage), and I'm running the Prime95 torture test at large FFT's and all of the tests are passing. I can see in various monitor softwares (NZXT CAM, lian li L-connect3, and task manager) that both the CPU and RAM are able to run at 99%-100% utilization without crashing.

I'm guessing my only option now is to manually set the frequency/clock settings until I get a stable system. Is that correct?

• I decided to return the ram and buy an AMD EXPO kit instead of manually overclocking. Thank you Mike!

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99