How-To connect my 51. surround sound speaker system?

Anxious to replace my old beguiled desktop...all on my current shopping/comparo list state "have 5.1 Surround Sound capability"; yet pics of the rear panels ONLY show THREE ports (blue,geen,pink)?? Does this mean I actually need to revise my list to include desktops that state "7.1 Surround Sound"?? If not, how SPECIFICALLY do I connect my speakers? (LF+RF+LR+RR+center+woofer)??

Answers

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

@TexasIndian

When you see three ports on the rear and the system states it supports 5.1/7.1 surround sound, you can't on those ports being 'soft' ports. Which means they're programmable, the system will prompt you for what you plugged. For instance on a system with three rear jacks supporting 7.1 you could do the following:

Rear Green = Front Speaker

Rear Blue = Center/Subwoofer

Rear Pink = Rear Speaker

Front Headphone = Side Speaker

Now the cables likely won't reach the front, but you can add a 3.5mm extender.

• Thanks TSMikeW,

Whereas don't think "won't reach" will be a problem (replacing my old large tower with a much smalleer one...'mid-tower'?); shouldn't be a problem now since speakers AND desktop will all be 'table-top' this time. However, as much as I do NOT want to depend on a new unit with "7.1 audio" (which current one is) since it'll drastically shrink my list. Have SIX speakers: front x2 (left/right) + rear x2 (left/right) + individual Center Channel + seperate SubWoofer box?? ANY ideas on how/where to connect all these?? REALLY hope you do!! If not, gotta start my research/shopping list all over again from scratch 😖

btw: Any idea how pre-built desktop mfg's expect us to connect when they advertise "5.1 Surround Sound capability"? (lies??)

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

@TexasIndian

7.1 should be four cables. For PC's they'll use 3.5MM connector with two rings. So you can dl left/right or center/subwoofer on a single cable. 5.1 you could do on three.

Source for the picture: https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-two-stripe-earphone-headphone-and-three-stripe-earphone-headphone

If you actually have 7 cables, they must be composite(RCA) instead of 3.5MM. You can purchase Composite to 3.5MM adapters that will combine them into a single cable for the PC.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99